Mowing old cub model 100 mower deck bearings

/ old cub model 100 mower deck bearings #1  

tonyk

Guys, Trying to take the slop out of the spindles without replacing the seemingly good bearings. They are the tapered type w/races facing one another within the housing. It seems you should be able to shim them somehow to tighten them.With the thousands of em out there im sure someone has the answer I have a 1964 100,1971 147 ,and a 104 they are made all the same. thanks,T

/ old cub model 100 mower deck bearings #2  
Years ago I replaced the sloppy spindles in my 44R deck with replacements that had tapered bearings. They had adjusting nuts that you could tighten until they started to bind and then loosen enough for free spinning. I would hope that the newer ones are similar.

Bob B.

/ old cub model 100 mower deck bearings #3  
The newer MTD spindles with aluminum housings have the tapered bearings, but I don't know what is available as far as parts for the real old CC decks.

Chat with the people on the Cub Cadet forum at www.farmallcub.com or www.ihregistry.com for help with the older Cub decks, many of these fellows really know their stuff with the mower classic decks and machines.

-Fordlords-

/ old cub model 100 mower deck bearings #4  
The tapered bearings in the older CC decks are common TIMKEN bearings. CCC sells them in a kit that includes the cups, cones and spacers for 1 (ONE) spindle. Ask for kit part number 473473R91 and be sure to get 2 (TWO) of a 473428R91 oil seal also. You need to replace the seals EVERYTIME you change/service bearings.

The 44 and 50 inch decks (including the series A and series C) used a 1 piece spindle bearing (ST745) that was superior to the new, EXPENSIVE, "upgrade kit" offered by CCC. These ST745 bearings were retired by CCC years back in favor of the "cheap" aluminum cast housing/tapered bearing kit.

TOO BAD, CCC did not see the superior design/simplicity of the ST745 bearing, but they went the cheap route. We at C&G did realize this and found a bearing vendor to make the ST745 bearing. It may be NLA from CCC (for now....) but we still carry the original style ST745 bearings at C&G.

Comparsion of the cost.....

ST745 bearing...................$ 64
OR
759-3479 bearing conversion kit................$ 122

Do the math......the CCC kit is NOT the better value.......

/ old cub model 100 mower deck bearings #5  
What about the GT Deck from 1995 ?

I have the 48" GT, model 317. It looks different from most decks. Looks almost like an industrial deck instead of a typical lawn deck. Has big brace bars across the entire top of the deck, with large, wide rollers on all 4 corners that are height adjusable.

How are these holding up, and are there any known issues with them?

-Larry

bermuda_ken said:
The tapered bearings in the older CC decks are common TIMKEN bearings. CCC sells them in a kit that includes the cups, cones and spacers for 1 (ONE) spindle. Ask for kit part number 473473R91 and be sure to get 2 (TWO) of a 473428R91 oil seal also. You need to replace the seals EVERYTIME you change/service bearings.

The 44 and 50 inch decks (including the series A and series C) used a 1 piece spindle bearing (ST745) that was superior to the new, EXPENSIVE, "upgrade kit" offered by CCC. These ST745 bearings were retired by CCC years back in favor of the "cheap" aluminum cast housing/tapered bearing kit.

TOO BAD, CCC did not see the superior design/simplicity of the ST745 bearing, but they went the cheap route. We at C&G did realize this and found a bearing vendor to make the ST745 bearing. It may be NLA from CCC (for now....) but we still carry the original style ST745 bearings at C&G.

Comparsion of the cost.....

ST745 bearing...................$ 64
OR
759-3479 bearing conversion kit................$ 122

Do the math......the CCC kit is NOT the better value.......

/ old cub model 100 mower deck bearings #6  
The only real "issues" we see with the newer GT decks are either from lack of grease (dry, burnt spindle bearings) or poor operators (snap off the guage wheels). Overall, the large arm decks (like the 190-317) are good decks. Most of the carnage we see with them are not design flaws.......

/ old cub model 100 mower deck bearings #7  
Thanks Ken. I think I saw fittings on the spindles, but I'm not sure if the idler does or not. Or if I can even get to it with the deck installed.

This weekend is major maintenace weekend to complete the "Bring it back to life" stage, and these are on the list.

Thanks!

-Larry

bermuda_ken said:
The only real "issues" we see with the newer GT decks are either from lack of grease (dry, burnt spindle bearings) or poor operators (snap off the guage wheels). Overall, the large arm decks (like the 190-317) are good decks. Most of the carnage we see with them are not design flaws.......

/ old cub model 100 mower deck bearings #8  
Hi Ken,
Are the ST745 bearing assemblies still available from from C&G? I need three to overhaul my deck. I realize this post I'm replying to is nearly ten years old.