ok to use hitch clips?

/ ok to use hitch clips? #1  

jodebg

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B-2650
I need to reassemble the 3ph lower links on my Kubota.

Some of the clevis pins have cotter pins. Is it ok to use hitch clips
in place of the cotter pins?

The rear axel housing is painted dark grey on my B2650, all except the
outside surfaces which are bare aluminum. I would like to coat this unpainted
aluminum. What would be a product to apply to the aluminum?

/ ok to use hitch clips? #2  

Is this what you mean by a hitch clip?
1218963.jpg

If so, I would be concerned that the "loop" of the clip could be snagged and dislodged.

Steve

/ ok to use hitch clips? #3  

The rear axel housing is painted dark grey on my B2650, all except the
outside surfaces which are bare aluminum. I would like to coat this unpainted
aluminum. What would be a product to apply to the aluminum?

Tractor side or implement side? Tractor side I would use bolts with nylocks so nothing pulls them out.

Use an automotive scuff pad then self etching primer. That will get the paint to stick.

/ ok to use hitch clips? #4  
After several, good cuts to the hands from cotter pins I went to clips and have never looked back. Even working in the woods never lost one. Replaced some due to getting bent. I have even replaced a lot of bolts w/ locking nuts; where disassembly is often, with various types of hitch pins and clips. Makes life easier as the BX really has no good place to mount a tool kit. I keep a wide assortment as backup as we lose one now and then or hired help is careless.

Ron

/ ok to use hitch clips? #5  
Is this what you mean by a hitch clip?
View attachment 515331

If so, I would be concerned that the "loop" of the clip could be snagged and dislodged.

Steve

I lost the circle keeper from my mower height wheels. I replaced with a hitchclip/hairpin. I used it that way for years and then just this year had the clip get pulled out and lost. So yes you can do it and it will probably work fine, just be aware of the potential for loss.

Doug in SW IA

/ ok to use hitch clips? #6  
For everything down low on the 3-point hitch - I replaced the hitch clip/hairpin with bolt & nylock nut. I've kept the hairpin for those places that are high up on the 3-point. Truth be known - in 35 years of tractoring here, I've never lost a hairpin. The bolt/nylock nut combination just makes me feel a lot more comfortable.

Also - on my 80 acres there is no brush to drive thru. The only thing that's high enough to engage hitch clip/hairpin/bolt & nylock nut would be field grass.