Ok gotta ask older massey / Fords against Kubota's

/ Ok gotta ask older massey / Fords against Kubota's #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
Well I'm in the market for a new tractor and have always had the older iron with torque motors low rpm tractors. I've even driven newer masseys 563 model and they just pull like crazy. Now i like the Kubota cause they are cheaper and have good reliability. But from the tractors i've drove i hate the high RPM's. Whats the deal with this? I mean really 2500RPM to bush hog. Also, if i'm disking and plowing now i can start off in a nice tall gear at idle and the tractor just takes off. I'm assuming you must rev these new diesels to get them going correct? Even the rear end on these new tractors look like toys compared to the old iron. I'm just a little confused cause i've heard several people mention i will not be happy with these new light weight high revving engines. From no pulling power, clutches that won't last, etc. Mostly what i need is 45-50pto power, use a 6ft bush hog, and pull at heavy (1100lb 8ft disk). My 3930's and 4000SU (2wheel drive) fords work these type equipment with ease. Any opionions would be greatly appreciated.

/ Ok gotta ask older massey / Fords against Kubota's #4  
Sawtooth; have you considered rebuilding your present tractor. :confused:

This sounds like the best option for you.

/ Ok gotta ask older massey / Fords against Kubota's #5  
It does look like your mind is pretty much made up. However, if you want a newer tractor that will run the PTO at 540 with lower engine RPMs look for one with a 1000rpm "economy" PTO.
As for needing to rev the engine to pull with, that depends on the transmission and the engine HP.
In my experience if you get a Hydrostatic transmission, the engine needs to run faster than you might need on a non-hydrostatic transmission to get the same speed, my FIL's Kubota L3830 will roll along in a high gear with low engine RPMs, but just like the Massey Industrial 35 that my dad had, you can only get so much power out of the engine and you cannot start it in the highest gear when the engine is idling.
Just remember that these engines were designed to run at that 2-3000 RPMs and will run all day under heavy load that way.

Aaron Z

/ Ok gotta ask older massey / Fords against Kubota's #6  
If you like the old iron, I see them for sale pretty often from private parties and my local Kubota Dealer almost always has some on the lot that look to be in pretty good shape. With some work they will last almost indefinitely. Quite a few farmers have them as utility tractors sitting beside their 80xx series John Deere Ag tractors.

As to the high RPM, those big Ag tractors being used are turning pretty fast now too; get what you like.

/ Ok gotta ask older massey / Fords against Kubota's #7  
I grew up on Fords, starting with 8N and up thru a 70's model 4000.

My first Kubota was a B2910. It would work circles around an 8N. Live lift, PTO, 4wd, diff lock, Power Steering, Wet Brakes, HST.

My current Kubota is an L4400DT gear drive. I believe it would work circles around the old 4000. I don't notice much difference in engine design from the 3cyl Ford engine and the current 4cyl Kubota engine. The L4400 will idle around and do most tasks with little effort. If you load it too heavily all you have to do is give it a breath of air and it quickly responds. 8 speeds forward, 4 reverse. Wet Brakes, Power Steering, live lift and PTO, diff lock, 4wd. About the only common denominator to the old 4000 would be a steering wheel, everything else the Kubota has the advantage over the old iron Ford.

From your comments I think you would be better satisfied with gear drive. Especially if your primary mission is field work.

On the other side of that, a modern HST or GST doing task work such as loader, blade, brush cutter, etc., will make the old Ford/Massey look foolish. Then add in the modern conveniences of modern tractors such as good brakes, Power Steering, stronger quicker hydraulics/3pt and the spread grows. I don't think you can fairly compare old iron to current models. There's just too much split in technology.

But never think a similarly equipped modern tractor won't outwork old iron. Foolish to think that. Be like saying the old F1 Ford pickup will keep up with a Super Duty. :p

Edit: Oh,, wanted to also make a sassy remark, my L4400 will pull your 6ft brush cutter and your 8ft disk at the same time...... No Really it will.... :)

/ Ok gotta ask older massey / Fords against Kubota's #8  
My father in law recently bought a new New Holland, around 40 hp and it drives me nuts to listen to him run the thing. He lugs the engine. He runs the thing at about 1200 rpm no matter what he is doing. I always feel like yelling at him to rev the thing up a little. He is also used to tractors that are turning at low RPM.

To answer your question, they are designed to be run at a higher RPM and it won't hurt them. Yeah it would sound funny to you, but you get used to it. Take a chain saw or a two stroke bike for example, they turn such high RPM's they seem to scream, but they are meant to do that.

/ Ok gotta ask older massey / Fords against Kubota's #9  
[QUOTEMy first Kubota was a B2910. It would work circles around an 8N. Live lift, PTO, 4wd, diff lock, Power Steering, Wet Brakes, HST.][/QUOTE]

Sacrilege; do you realize what you have said?:eek::eek::eek: