OK, Birdwatchers...what's going on?

/ OK, Birdwatchers...what's going on? #1  

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
It's been raining here off and on for 2 or 3 days, and it's up to nearly 60 degrees this morning; snow gone and sun trying to peek through. I looked out the front window, and my yard and the neighbor's yard were full of birds; pecking...I could see them pulling out worms...some fighting, some flying, and some just milling around. What got my attention, was not only the number of birds, but the different kinds. I first noticed the Robins. We don't normally see Robins this time of year, but there were quite a few of them. I also noticed the little Snowbirds, one little House Wren, a couple of Starlings, some Doves, Bluejays, Cardinals, a little brown bird that looks like a Bluejay with the little top knot, a couple species of large Woodpeckers and a couple birds I didn't recognize.

Maybe I'm just wishing for Spring, but it seemed odd to me that there were that many birds, of different kinds here all at once, including birds that we normally don't see here in Winter. Doves are migratory, as are Robins (I think); although we do see Doves off and on during the Winter around the bird feeder, but Robins? Hardly ever that I recall. Sharn Jean says "Early Spring this year". Hope she's right!

Almost forgot...watching the community turkey flock in the yard yesterday, some of the big toms were strutting around like they do during the mating season...a bit early I thought.

/ OK, Birdwatchers...what's going on? #2  
Some robins do not migrate we have a few all winter as long as the ground does not freeze. Doves are here by the hundreds. The rest mentioned are also year round residents. About the only thing I see in the summer and not in winter is the humming birds

/ OK, Birdwatchers...what's going on?
Some robins do not migrate we have a few all winter as long as the ground does not freeze. Doves are here by the hundreds. The rest mentioned are also year round residents. About the only thing I see in the summer and not in winter is the humming birds

Same here with the Hummers; it's also pretty rare to see a Bluebird, but last year we did see a couple in mid February checking out the bird house.

/ OK, Birdwatchers...what's going on? #4  
I have blue birds and doves and Cardinals around my bird feeder. No Robins though.

/ OK, Birdwatchers...what's going on? #5  
I guess Island Tractor will have to chime in here, he's big on bird watching, but I know Spring is just around the corner because I went into WalMart early this morning and they've got all their garden seeds and supplies out!

/ OK, Birdwatchers...what's going on? #6  
It's been raining here off and on for 2 or 3 days, and it's up to nearly 60 degrees this morning; snow gone and sun trying to peek through. I looked out the front window, and my yard and the neighbor's yard were full of birds; pecking...I could see them pulling out worms...some fighting, some flying, and some just milling around. What got my attention, was not only the number of birds, but the different kinds. I first noticed the Robins. We don't normally see Robins this time of year, but there were quite a few of them. I also noticed the little Snowbirds, one little House Wren, a couple of Starlings, some Doves, Bluejays, Cardinals, a little brown bird that looks like a Bluejay with the little top knot, a couple species of large Woodpeckers and a couple birds I didn't recognize.

Maybe I'm just wishing for Spring, but it seemed odd to me that there were that many birds, of different kinds here all at once, including birds that we normally don't see here in Winter. Doves are migratory, as are Robins (I think); although we do see Doves off and on during the Winter around the bird feeder, but Robins? Hardly ever that I recall. Sharn Jean says "Early Spring this year". Hope she's right!

Almost forgot...watching the community turkey flock in the yard yesterday, some of the big toms were strutting around like they do during the mating season...a bit early I thought.
Robins only go as far as their food source. I've seen them here in Northern Indiana the 1st of January eating berries from trees and pulling worms from mud by a lake that has natural springs and never freezes. As far as I know, doves don't migrate. I scare them out of my 40' blue spruce when putting up and taking down Christmas lights in mid December and mid January. Its nice to see that many species in one place. Count yourself lucky. :thumbsup:

/ OK, Birdwatchers...what's going on? #7  
my roosters been at it for few days now and the hens are starting to lay a bit. days are getting longer.

/ OK, Birdwatchers...what's going on? #8  
To get Princess, my 6 year old grandaughter, to notice that there is a difference between all of those things that fly and eat at the bird feeders I found MONEY works. She stayed with us during Christmas break during the day as she does during the summer. For every different type/specie of bird she sees and then finds in the field guide she gets a quarter.........Ol Grandpa now owes her $4.75.........THAT's a bunch of birds and research.........yes, it took her perhaps 10 days; but what she learned will be there for life.............God bless........Dennis

/ OK, Birdwatchers...what's going on? #9  
We have lots of species that I don't recognize come to our backyard feeders here in Kansas. Could I get the same deal, Dennis?

/ OK, Birdwatchers...what's going on? #10  
Robins and bluebirds usually just migrate to the woods for the winter. They are around here all year as well as the mourning doves. Had about 15 robins in the oak tree yesterday as it began to warm up. Been about 6 bluebirds around as well. Juncos, tree sparrows, blue jays have been busy as well as the red tail and red shouldered hawks. I have not seen very many chickadees this winter, which is odd.