Oil question

/ Oil question #11  
Thanks, I will look on line.....I plan on doing a lot of chipping with the 3 point this spring so that's why I had my doubts about using that oil!
If your manual calls for CC you will probably be OK with this oil. I would just use what you have and then buy better stuff in the future. Unless you can return what you have. What year is the tractor?

/ Oil question
If your manual calls for CC you will probably be OK with this oil. I would just use what you have and then buy better stuff in the future. Unless you can return what you have. What year is the tractor?
I bought it used, the manual was printed in 2009.

/ Oil question #13  
Well not really, I mean it exceeded api standard 17 years ago, but no longer comes close.
CF was superseded in 1995 and discontinued in 2010. If I was op I would probably use CK or CJ

It is a CK-4
IMG_2196.jpg

/ Oil question #16  
Easy to tell someone else to dump the oil and waste some cash, but I personally would not run a straight 30 weight in a modern engine in any season. Certainly do not have this oil in your tractor in a cold climate - it will be molasses when cold.

All that said, as previously posted API CF4 is backwards compatible to CC/CD.

/ Oil question #17  
I got tired of not being able to find oil on the shelves of TSC and became an Amsoil dealer. Turns out the Rotella T5 I was running cost about the same as the Amsoil diesel oil.

/ Oil question #18  
I used 30 weight heavy duty diesel oil. Hope the picture helps!View attachment 743106
Very interesting - Caterpillar TO-2 spec - the TO stands for Transmission Oil. That spec was obsolete when I began working for them in 1989. I suppose if you have really old equipment - from the 50's, maybe into the 60's. But it does say for older equipment. Didn't think any company would find it profitable to make oil suitable only for old stuff when current specs are backward compatible.

/ Oil question #19  
It's not an oil I would use in anything modern.
I would consider it for my Dynahoe with the 2 stroke Detroit Diesel in it.

/ Oil question #20  
Ahh - you could maybe run it a little while. Should be fine if you avoid cold starts, but I'd dump it after a few hours. Look for a good deal on rotella or something like that and when you find it, change it.

What really has me cringing is all that language about being obsolete, don't run in a modern engine, won't prevent sludge and wear, etc. That is no-bueno. Too me, that oil is good good for hood latches and old push mowers.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

2021 John Deere 4023R Sprayer (A35465)
2021 John Deere...
3-point Scratcher (A35780)
3-point Scratcher...
2012 Hino 268 Van Truck, (A35430)
2012 Hino 268 Van...
John Deere 1600 3-Point Chisel Plow (A35780)
John Deere 1600...
John Deere 365 Pull Behind (A36338)
John Deere 365...
Unused AGT Industrial 60in Disc Mulcher/Grinder (A35430)
Unused AGT...