Oil & Fuel Oil pressure light at start up

/ Oil pressure light at start up #1  

NH_Dave

Tractor
Kubota L3750
My L3750 oil pressure light comes on when I first start my tractor.
It will fade on and off a few times for about the first 3 - 5 minutes of run time, then goes off and stays off.
The oil level is OK.
The oil filter has less than 50hrs on it.
The connections to the pressure switch appear good.
Any ideas???
Thanks,
Dave

/ Oil pressure light at start up #2  
How many hours on the engine? I would think that this means that you either have a period of low oil pressure or that the sender is going bad.

/ Oil pressure light at start up #3  
I would suspect a problem with the sender. If you had a filter, oil level, oil pump, or bearing problems, you would usually see it more with the engine at operating temp. rather than on cold startup. This is not always the case, but it is more likely.

/ Oil pressure light at start up
The hours on the machine are unknown.
I bought it used two years ago.
The first thing I replaced was the broken tach cable.
I would guess over 2k hours.

Should this light be a major concern?

Thanks,
Dave

/ Oil pressure light at start up #5  
I think if I were you I would replace the idiot light with a pressure gauge so I would know exactly how much oil pressure I have. Many of the lights are set to come on at such a low pressure, the engine is shot by the time you realize that there is no oil pressure.

/ Oil pressure light at start up #6  
Gary is right, plumb a mechanical guage for test purposes in where the low pressure switch is, general rule is 10psi for every 1000 rpm, another words 10 psi at idle is ok. 20-30 psi minimum at rated speed is acceptable.

/ Oil pressure light at start up #7  
Its very easy to get a sending unit to plug on a machine or vehicle with a fair amount of hours. My guess would be the sending unit is no good. However, I wouldn't hurt to put a mechanical guage on there to check. That would be my first move.