Oil overfill question

/ Oil overfill question #1  

pochie

Hi. I've always been exact in filling any engine with oil be it car, cycle, mower, etc. My Kubota takes 3.5 qts. with the filter. Yesterday I put in about 14 more ounces than called for...almost 4 qts. It reads just a hair over the FULL line on the dipstick. Should I drain that much out or let it go? I have always read that overfilling causes higher pressure and can damage the engine. It is really not much trouble to loosen the plug and let it drip out in a measured cup. Thank you for your opinions......I just checked my oil level and it is almost 1/2" above the FULL line so I am going to drain 14 ounces out. I've never had a problem with any engine I've owned so I was worried. Have a good day.

Last edited:
   / Oil overfill question #2  
If it indicates just over the line, I wouldn't worry about it.

/ Oil overfill question #3  
You are OK...
Most manufacturers allow for a small amount of overfill in the design of their engines...
If you are a hair over the full line you are fine...
I would bet that a 4 quart fill is within the design tolerances of an acceptable oil level...

/ Oil overfill question #4  
A few times in the 25 years of owning the 240D and doing my own oil changes, I'd noticed oil well above the full line on the dipstick. I never worried about it.

This is where an oil extractor would be very handy though. Just stick it down the dipstick and suck out a little bit. Don't like the idea of removing the drain plug to do so. Kinda nasty.

I started using an oil extractor about 3 years ago. First, I checked it on all the vehicles by removing the drain plug. Worked great on everything but our VW Cabrio. It has some sort of baffle that stopped the dipstick probe. On the 4010, I removed the drain plug and nary a drop of oil came out.

The oil extractor is GREAT for lawn mowers and generators, particularly on generators that are too heavy to tilt (like a lawn mower) and too low down to get anything under there to catch the oil.

Ralph

/ Oil overfill question #6  
If you need to drain a little oil just dump the filter and reinstall.

Chris

/ Oil overfill question #8  
I wouldn't worry about a small over fill.
Over filling can cause whats called "hydraulic lock" where the air space that motor parts use (like the pistons going up and down) is full of oil that doesn't compress like air, so then the parts have no space to move in - Result Hydraulic lock. In most cases you need to almost fill the sump to cause this problem though. A small overfill should do no damage. :thumbsup:

/ Oil overfill question #9  
If your tank has a vent, and it probably does, any over filling will simply push the fluid out the vent, causing no damage, maybe a little messy.

The vent is designed for any expansion of the fluid.

/ Oil overfill question #10  
With just a 1/2 qt over you should be just fine.