Oil in the radiator ck20hs

/ Oil in the radiator ck20hs #1  

cabover4us

Silver Member
Tractor
1987 john deere 855 sold and bought a YT235 Yanmar, love this tractor
My good friend has a ck20 hes experiencing an oil condition in the radiator and overflow bottle. Theres no water in the engine oil, just a slimy skin inside of the rad and tank. Checked the rad with it running and no pressure noted or overflow out of rad filling spout with cap off.
Scott read where someone thought it could be the check valve, but wouldnt that put water in the oil also? Or should he just replace the whole oil cooler and be done with it?

/ Oil in the radiator ck20hs #2  
I would say a bad (blown) head gasket or even a possible hairline crack in the head, which allows the high pressure oil to communicate with a low pressure coolant line. Thus the cross flow is from high pressure to low pressure. So you would not see any coolant in the engine oil. The crack expands as the engine heats up and cross flow usually occurs only while engine is hot.

The best scenario is its just a bad head gasket, and simply needs replacement. If it gets worse however and oil increases, the more costly situation is, you would need to bring the tractor to a machine shop and they will isolate the exact cause and specific location of the crack. You cannot repair the crack. The machine shop may do a full engine head replacement. It can get expensive, and is most likely beyond skill of most dealers.

You can also live with the situation for awhile, and keep everything under observation, especially if its just a skim of oil in the radiator, and the tractor is old, lightly used or the owner financial situation doesn't allow for an immediate repair. You would need to drain the coolant and oil mixture on a monthly basis from the radiator, until a full repair is scheduled. Just my thoughts.

Last edited: