Oil for Case-IH engine

/ Oil for Case-IH engine #1  

geneP

Platinum Member
Tractor
Case-International 385, Kubota L5450 w/LA1150A loader
Maybe this belongs in the Lubricants section, but I'm hoping to find more Case-International specific knowledge here. I just bought a Case International model 385, '89 model, with the 155 ci diesel engine. The original owner's manual came with it and states that it is not recommended to use multi-grade eingine oil in it. I've always been of the opinion that a multi grade oil will flow better in cooler weather and still maintain rated viscosity after the engine is warm, but I don't want to do anything that will harm my low hour engine. Does anyone know if Case has changed their position on oils for these engines in the last 15 years? With winter coming I don't want to install 30 wt oil if Case now sanctions the multi-grade diesel oils. Thanks up front for any information you can give. Gene

/ Oil for Case-IH engine #2  
Hi Gene-

I have the same tractor. I run Delo 400 or Rotella T in it, same as I do my ford diesel pu. I guess I'm doing so w/out the blessing of Case/IH, but it's been my experience that those oils are good for diesels.

I also steer clear of the Case/IH parts counter when it comes to hydraulic fluid. I run Mystic JT5 (I think that's the right number - it's the <font color="blue"> blue </font> can).

The officail Case/IH fluids are just too expensive for me.

Mark

/ Oil for Case-IH engine
Hi Mark, Thanks for the reply. I changed the oil today and put in the Delo 400 30 wt. I'm in the south where the temperature is relatlively mild in the winters and I don't usually run the tractor if its cold out. I changed the hydraulic filter, too. The manual calls for changing the hydraulic oil at 800 hrs but this tractor only has 500 hrs on it. If all goes well I plan to run it about another 100 hrs and change it.

From the wording of your reply I take it you're using a multigrade motor oil. I talked to the Case dealer and he recommended the multigrade oils because it's what is used in the newer tractors. I just can't understand why single weight oils were so strongly recommended in the manual. They allow multi visicosity oils in sub-zero weather, but recommend oil changes at half the normal interval. Maybe the single weight oils will withstand longer times between changes. I'd much prefer changes more often and get faster oil circulation at startup with multi viscosity if that is their thinking. If I were in a colder climate I would have given multi viscosity more consideration but decided to play it safe on this first oil change. Gene