Oil & Fuel Oil Filter Cross

/ Oil Filter Cross #1  

Riddler

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland TN75VA, New Holland TC45DA, New Holland TC18
I have a MTD Pro ZTR with 25 HP Kohler Command V-Twin. The Kohler oil filter number for this power plant is 12-050-01S (which apparently replaces the original 12-050-08). Where can I go to cross reference the Kohler filter with something (e.g., Fram) that would be more readily available locally? Better yet, anyone using a common automobile oil filter on this engine with success?

Finally, what grade(s) of oil can I run in this thing? The lowest winter temps barely crack freezing, and then, only on a handful of evenings each year.

/ Oil Filter Cross
Thanks OM. If I can push my luck, what oil would you recommend I use in the thing?

/ Oil Filter Cross #4  
The Kohler Command manual says to use 10w30 at temps above 32F. I only use full synthetic oil in my Z Force 50 with a kohler 23hp twin.

/ Oil Filter Cross #5  
I run the equivalent to a Motorcraft FL400 filter on my Kohler Command 20 with room to spare on my machine. That's an option for you if you've got the room. I've also run various brands of 10w30 and Shell Rotella-T 5w40 oil. Purrs like on kitten on either.

Joel

/ Oil Filter Cross
Great guys, thanks.