oil changes

/ oil changes #21  
Most of todays new Diesel engines do not get the black color they once did years ago because of soot.
And you know this how? I've been driving and operating diesels for a while too, since 1985 actually. But small diesels - nothing bigger than 3.2 liters. Every single one - right up to and including my current 2011 John Deere (Tier 3) and 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel (DPF-equipped) - have engine oil that's black as midnight. JD oil/filter is changed every 100 hours, Porsche every 5000 miles.

//greg//

Last edited:
   / oil changes #22  
My 2012 Golf wagon TDI (Jetta in the State) oil is also pitch black.

/ oil changes #23  
I mainly am talking about larger engines but I will say all of my newer smaller machines just get a dark honey color. They are not getting the jet black that most diesels experienced when I was a child. I can remember back then as soon as you started an engine after an oil change and then shut it off the new oil would already be jet black. Emissions has stopped allot of the issues and Emissions has been mostly geared towards larger enginies but has been also slowly directed towards the smaller engines. Deere's main focus has been EGR and in 2014 they will also be using DEF. I was watching a Case IH advertisement the other day and a cutomer mentioned how clean the oil was compared to the older engines after use.

/ oil changes
Cool. Thanks guys. I made my way down to the Deere dealer on Saturday, and picked up new engine filters for my 855 and 757 Z-trak. In fact, I already have the new filter and oil done on the 855.

I also got a hydro filter for the 757. I thought the 757 manual said 500 hours or yearly on the hydro oil and filter, although the dealer seemed to think it was only 500 hours, period. I'll have to check the manual again on that, as both machines are seeing only 65 - 70 hours per year.

/ oil changes #25  
I believe the dealer is right for the hydro. There is usually no time limit and if there is one it would be something like 5 years or so. Your doing the right thing, check your manual. Good for you for changing the oil. Bet you feel much better now. lol