Oil change help?

/ Oil change help? #1  

sherpa

Platinum Member
Tractor
2004 NH TC33D & 2014 NH Boomer 24
I am getting ready to change the engine oil on my TC33D.
The tractor has a total of 370 hours on it so I have only changed it three times.
The last time I changed the oil I use Rotella-3 15W40.

I was thinking about going with a full synthetic oil or a semi synthetic oil?
Do I need a different weight oil or stay with 15W40?

What are your recommendations?
Thanks,
Sherpa

/ Oil change help? #3  
I'd use the 5w40 Rotella. That 15w40 stuff is too heavy to give you good protection in colder weather startups. Even the 5w40 will be heavier at startup than 40w is at operating temperature, even in the summer.

In my JD, I use 0w30 Mobil 1.

Ralph

/ Oil change help? #4  
Full syn with an annual oil change, (or 100 hours). I like the Rotella 5w-40 syn for the diesels, Mobil 5w-20 for the modern gas engines.

/ Oil change help? #5  
If you are happy with the Rotella brand, a 5 or 10 W will give you good cold weather starting and the 40 will protect to 120 deg. F weather.

/ Oil change help?
What about Mobil One full synthetic 10W30 oil, would that work well in a diesel engine?
I use it in some other vehicles. I hate having to have 4 or 5 different kinds of oil on hand?

If you could use just one oil in everything tractor, motorcycles, cars and motorhome what would you choose?
sherpa

Last edited:
   / Oil change help? #7  
What about Mobil One full synthetic 10W30 oil, would that work well in a diesel engine?
I use it in some other vehicles. I hate having to have 4 or 5 different kinds of oil on hand?

If you could use just one oil in everything tractor, motorcycles, cars and motorhome what would you choose?
sherpa

I could be wrong, but I don't think M1 is diesel rated. If I could only use 1 oil - Rotella Syn, 5w-40.

/ Oil change help? #9  
I use the shell Rotella 5W40 synthetic, this is suppose to be good for -30F and 122F. 15W40 is only good down to 15F and up to 122F. I used the Shell Rotella 15W40 but it will be black on the dipstick after about 10 hours. I use the Shell rotella 5W40 and the oil is still like you just put in after 40 hours. I would recommend the Shell Rotella 5W40 synthetic. :thumbsup: