Oil & Fuel Off road vs. regular diesel...

/ Off road vs. regular diesel... #1  

RandyH

Tractor
Yanmar 1500
Someone told me the dye in off road diesel will clog injectors. Is this true?

/ Off road vs. regular diesel... #3  
<font color="blue"> Myth. </font>
That is right. If it would clog injectors, farmers wouldn't use it in everything. That includes those 1/4 million dollar combines.

/ Off road vs. regular diesel... #4  
Just don't get caught using the dyed fuel in anything you drive on the road. Big fines The only reason that the fuel has dye in it is so they can tell if the road tax has been paid. Off road fuel is cheaper because of no road tax.

/ Off road vs. regular diesel... #5  
Yep, My friend got stopped when pulling his boat with his truck. The boat is a gas outboard rig. They checked his truck for the color of the gas. He only uses BP diesel in his truck (claims better mileage) so he was fine.

/ Off road vs. regular diesel... #6  
<font color="blue"> Yep, My friend got stopped when pulling his boat with his truck </font>

Out of curiosity, who stopped him? State, local, Federales? Any details about the stop.

/ Off road vs. regular diesel... #7  
At one time the red farm fuel would have been beeter for your tractor. More sulfur. Sulfur acts as a lubricant. Let's just say I was around an on-road truck that inadvertanly had off road red farm fuel diesel put in it and it stunk while it was sitting still idling because of the added sulfur. I had injector pump problems with a 95 GMC Sierra diesel back in 96. I went through 3 injector pumps and one lift pump. The service manager blamed on the government requiring lower sulfur content in the on-road diesel. He claimed that the sulfur lubricated the parts in the pumps. He recommended going to a truck stop and buying an additive that the truckers used. I bought a Powerstroke instead.

But to reaffirm what others have said, no the red diesel fuel will not hurt your tractor. I burn it in my Deere 4310 with 120hours and my Komatsu Dozer with 2300 hours.

/ Off road vs. regular diesel... #8  
I've never used any of the dyed diesel, and none of my farmer neighbors used it because we could buy the undyed diesel for the same price with the proper paperwork on file. That's changed now in Texas, so I would imagine most farmers are using the dyed stuff now. One guy told me that his new John Deere stalled and quit on him twice, once driving down the road from a field back to the house. He said each time he called the dealer to come fix it and each time they told him it was the dye that had plugged his fuel filter, so he quit using it. Now it appears from everything I've read on TBN that such a case just doesn't exist, so I don't know whether he was right or not. However, I asked the guy where I was buying my fuel (wholesale distributor) and he told me that he would not recommend keeping the dyed fuel for more than a month or so; that the dye can separate out and "possibly" cause problems. So . . ., I heard from two people that the dyed fuel CAN cause problems and from MANY people on TBN that it cannot. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Off road vs. regular diesel... #9  
Bird, et al--we have used off-road diesel for ten years, usually get a delivery in the fall that lasts until summer. Never had a significant problem. Since about 8 years ago we add PRI-D (as well as their anti-gel in winter and their microbicide in every barrel) and have had NO fuel-related problems. We also use PRI-G in our gasoline. When I put up the small tiller, the weedwhip, and push mower for winter, I leave the gas in them, add a shot of PRI-G, run them for a minute or two, and that's it. No starting problems in spring, no varnish, nada. Been doing this since we discovered PRI products.

/ Off road vs. regular diesel... #10  
Wayne, I do wonder if the guy who told me the red dye clogged the filter had old diesel and grew algae that caused the clog instead of the dye. I kept undyed diesel for quite a few months at a time in a 55 gallon barrel, but I always added PowerService to mine. And I add Stabil to the gasoline for my small engines.