Odd happening

/ Odd happening #1  

arrow

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
Today while dragging stems out, the 3016 belched when the gearing was set too high for the load (3rd gear up an incline) The tractor just about died but caught and was moving exhaust out the air cleaner for a few seconds. Forward setting made the tractor go in reverse and reverse forward.(shuttle) I shut it down. Waited five minutes, and continued like nothing happened. Never heard of this effect nor care to duplicate it.
Pictured is the hitch it happened with. All the stems in the pic is the sum of 5 hitches. This tractor is just right for these woods and has the oomph to be a big time saver capable of dragging whole trees through dense forest. This is the second full year of skidding I've had with this new tractor. Although driving skidders through New England forests for 30 years has taught me how to maneuver through this type of terrain, apparently, this operator has some more to learn about his present machine.

Attachments

• IMG_2202.JPG
    IMG_2202.JPG
    779.2 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_2203.JPG
    IMG_2203.JPG
    636.3 KB · Views: 245
   / Odd happening #2  
You had the engine running backwards.
I've had it happen before myself. Nearly stall the engine, catch it with the clutch a the last second, the engine kicks back and starts up backwards.

/ Odd happening
You had the engine running backwards.
I've had it happen before myself. Nearly stall the engine, catch it with the clutch a the last second, the engine kicks back and starts up backwards.

Exactly. The sound was as if I blew a muffler out. Had me concerned with the reverse world I was living in for a moment..

/ Odd happening #5  
It never happened. It's the exhaust fumes that are causing hallucinations. :)

/ Odd happening
It never happened. It's the exhaust fumes that are causing hallucinations. :)

Phew. I'd much rather have hallucinations than hurt my tractor. I feel better now.

/ Odd happening #7  
I have never done that with my tractor (engine running backwards), but I have had it happen a couple times in the mud hauling pit coal with triaxle dump trucks.
Once with a Detroit 2 stroke diesel and once with a 2406 Cat.
I knew what had happened so I shut them down right away, started it back up and off I went.

/ Odd happening #8  
Just check your air filter and make sure it has not burnt any holes it.

/ Odd happening #10  
This is off topic, but from the pictures it looks like you can move the rear tires out quite a ways. For skidding logs like you're doing (and for doing just about everything else) having the tires at the widest position will make that tractor safer and more capable. I'd highly recommend swapping them side to side and maximizing the potential of that nice looking Mahindra.