Oil & Fuel Odd fuel filter leak 6500 4WD

/ Odd fuel filter leak 6500 4WD #1  

awill99

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 6500 4WD with Skid Steer FEL.Mahindra 3616 HST with Skidsteer, Vermeer RT200 Trencher
Had 50 hour service done. When I got it back noticed what looked like both filters were lesking. Called service dept and they agreed to give me 2 gaskets as I didn't want a 60 mile round trip towing tractor. Of course Mahindra only sells gasket with filter so they gave me 2 filters. Got home and changed front one first and glad I did. When they changed filter a small twisted wire (like very small safety wire) or a wire holding a tag in place that was tied to a point between the 2 filters had somehow been wedged between front filter and gasket was creating the problem. I would not have even noticed it but I had trouble removing gasket and I got flashlight out and was trying to probe the gasket out when I noticed the wire. When I fired it up it would wick down the wire and part would go on front filter and I assume run down the wire and leak to back filter. Removed wire and installed new front filter and it stopped leaks. Anybody know what the wire was for?

/ Odd fuel filter leak 6500 4WD #2  
awill99 said:
Had 50 hour service done. When I got it back noticed what looked like both filters were lesking. Called service dept and they agreed to give me 2 gaskets as I didn't want a 60 mile round trip towing tractor. Of course Mahindra only sells gasket with filter so they gave me 2 filters. Got home and changed front one first and glad I did. When they changed filter a small twisted wire (like very small safety wire) or a wire holding a tag in place that was tied to a point between the 2 filters had somehow been wedged between front filter and gasket was creating the problem. I would not have even noticed it but I had trouble removing gasket and I got flashlight out and was trying to probe the gasket out when I noticed the wire. When I fired it up it would wick down the wire and part would go on front filter and I assume run down the wire and leak to back filter. Removed wire and installed new front filter and it stopped leaks. Anybody know what the wire was for?

Sounds like the wire I had on my fuel filters from the factory. It was sealed with a lead tag. We use something like that on our Boeings. It is called witness puddy or tamper proof puddy. It is used as a seal. It is orange and applied to the saftey wire. IF it is gone, the filter has been removed. It is mainly used for warranty purposes on tractorss. If the wire seal is there, you didn't do your servicing and the warranty is void. Sounds like your dealer's mechanics did a very sloppy job removing the wire.:( I just wonder what else they are sloppy with.:rolleyes:
hugs, Brandi