Now we can take the dogs walking/riding.

/ Now we can take the dogs walking/riding. #1  

Alien

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30 HST
As some are aware my wife and I both have bad backs. Just two days ago I was confined to bed which is very frustrating. I have had 2 laminectomies and suffer sciatica as does my lovely wife. There are good days though. We just need to learn to take it easier at our age. I'm a slow learner.
A friend of mine suggested a mobility scooter and he was very happy with his so we ordered a couple. They are 3 speed and reverse and can be used on road. Registration is free. Range is 50 klm and top speed is 32 kph. So far very happy as are our little dogs.
They can handle paddocks quite OK so we can get around the property easily. Fully sprung suspension and large wheels gives a nice ride.

IMG_2417.JPG
IMG_2419.JPG

/ Now we can take the dogs walking/riding. #2  
Alien, I had to look up laminectomies. That's a consequential operation.
There is no need for you to be suffering from sciatica. A good physical therapist, "Tens" (google it, a muscle stimulant), and exercise will make a new man out of you in two months. The down side of those scooters is you'll stop trying to walk You stop walking, and like other parts of our older bodies - you lose it. Leg muscles atrophy. Lungs lose capacity, etc.
I'm not meaning to preach to you, and if you feel I am, then I apologize. I'm in the middle of my second physical recovery. It's a long haul, rebuilding muscle, (physical) work capacity, etc. I'd hate to see you give up the fight.
Eric

/ Now we can take the dogs walking/riding.
I appreciate and understand your comments HtwT. I have considered a TENS machine and believe it could help considerably. No need to apologize at all.

/ Now we can take the dogs walking/riding. #6  
As someone who deals with sciatica, it depends on what is causing it, where it originates from. One place is the back (that's where mine originates from). I can't recall what the other area of origination is other than it's less preferred.

PT works! And, as life sometimes throws curves, PT might be for life (I'm looking at this being a likely path/outcome for an issue I have). Not for a minute do I take for granted how fortunate most of us are for being able to have some sort of medical remedies available to us: my wife is from the Philippines, I KNOW how things are for most people on this planet.

/ Now we can take the dogs walking/riding. #7  
As someone who deals with sciatica, it depends on what is causing it, where it originates from. One place is the back (that's where mine originates from). I can't recall what the other area of origination is other than it's less preferred.

PT works! And, as life sometimes throws curves, PT might be for life (I'm looking at this being a likely path/outcome for an issue I have). Not for a minute do I take for granted how fortunate most of us are for being able to have some sort of medical remedies available to us: my wife is from the Philippines, I KNOW how things are for most people on this planet.
I know many folks who have also had good results for sciatica with chiropractic care.

/ Now we can take the dogs walking/riding. #8  
I know many folks who have also had good results for sciatica with chiropractic care.
Yes. Currently have the feeling that I need to see one.

Generally when it gets bad for me I can usually relieve it (stretching- majority of the time I can manipulate my own back; specific exercises if that doesn't work). Right now my back is being really stubborn. Good news, however, is that it takes my mind of my sciatica!

/ Now we can take the dogs walking/riding.
Good stuff.

What customisations are you considering?
Ha ha. Got a basket to fit yet. :) (It's a fast basket.) I can get a streamlined bicycle helmet.

bcp
I already have those on my tractor so they would just slow this one down.

/ Now we can take the dogs walking/riding. #10  
Yes. Currently have the feeling that I need to see one.

Generally when it gets bad for me I can usually relieve it (stretching- majority of the time I can manipulate my own back; specific exercises if that doesn't work). Right now my back is being really stubborn. Good news, however, is that it takes my mind of my sciatica!
I need to see a chiropractor monthly to keep my back/hip feeling good. One thing that I bought that really helps is an inversion table. Whenever I’m feeling that my back is starting to slip out of correct position, I hang on the table for 5 minutes. I can feel the vertebra decompress and I feel better.