Now I remember why cities are just cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Now I remember why cities are just cancer #1  

sea2summit

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1860->25D, MX5800, M4D
I work on a military installation and live on the far side of it so I don't drive through the "big city" hardly ever, last time I remember doing anything in the city was May or June? We live near a small town and I do pretty much everything I need to there.

Today I had to run up to the Kubota dealer about two hours north. I needed gas so had my eye out for the cheapest sign that went by and I wasn't seeing anything that beat town so I decided to get just enough to make it back safely. Pulled into a truck stop, not the bars on the windows kind of gas station, and went to pump diesel. You had to have the member card for their place or pay inside and you had to go inside before you could pump, no big deal. Figured I could put $20 on the counter and be done. Nope, had to leave a drivers license and form of payment. Are you kidding me? So I leave my DL and $20 and go pump. Then I go back in for my DL.

Meanwhile I had left a message for my hay guy as I hoped to pick some up today. I've been using him a few years but have never seen him around town or worked with him. He called me back and said he's out of town until Tuesday but said he'd tell me how to get the hay loading tractor started (an old John Deere) so I could go get it if I needed it today.

Hope it will be at least another six months before I need to see a city:thumbsdown:

/ Now I remember why cities are just cancer #2  
Around Detroit, you can put 15 gallons of gas into a 10 gallon tank ! They must have very efficient pumps .:confused:

/ Now I remember why cities are just cancer #3  
I have always been miffed when I go south of the border and have to pay before filling. Like, how much fuel is full? Why can't society just deal with criminals in the hardest (and cheapest) manner possible and make life easeir for the rest of us?

/ Now I remember why cities are just cancer #4  
I dropped my one boy off to work today, got gas at one of "rural" gas stations on the way home. Went in because I wanted to buy a milk to drink.

Overwieght middle age blonde chick behind the counter, couple of low grade tats on her arm (just an observation). As I was waiting to pay for the milk and the $10, the only thing this chick did was talk on her cell phone to some guy about what was going on today with them. Girl kept talking on the phone, really never made eye contact with me, took my money, gave me my change and I walked out. Hard to believe that a person at the counter waiting on retail service would spend time talking on the personal phone when they're waiting on customers. Keep in mind, this is a somwhat rural area.

Only point is if 20% of the population are total idiots, cities have more idiots due to the population density.

Sounds like your issue was a "operations/prodcure" issue with customers where when cash is left for payment, a form of ID needs to be left. Makes no sense if it's a prepay pump and they have to turn on speciffic pumps if payment is made before hand. Point being, that could happen anywhere due to previous issues the management has come across (no clue on my end).

Do know, not certain if it's SC or Georgia, but either of those states tick me off when they list a gas price, you pull up, and it's a cash price only. Always happens only on family vacation going to the shore down there. Thing is, very rural areas but it's still a procedural issue I'm not use to dealing with in NC (think perhaps west of Asheville I've come across this with gas as well, not certain).

/ Now I remember why cities are just cancer #5  
Don't blame the establishments for their prepay policies...blame slimeballs that drive off without paying...
Generally you see those types of policies along Interstates etc...

/ Now I remember why cities are just cancer #6  
Often the poor cashier has to pay for a drive-off.

/ Now I remember why cities are just cancer #7  
Don't blame the establishments for their prepay policies...blame slimeballs that drive off without paying...
Generally you see those types of policies along Interstates etc...

The reality is if you want $20 in gas on a prepay pump, you go in and hand them a $20 and tell them what pump you're on, I'm still not exactly certain why you need to leave a drivers license when they already have your money. If they program the pump for $20, the reality is you can't put more than $20 in. I actually hate this method myself as it seems if you prepay with cash, the last 30 cents out of that $20 seems to take forever to get to on the pump LOL

/ Now I remember why cities are just cancer #9  
I know it's a single location local situation but here in town there is only one place to buy off road diesel...it's a BP station...the pump is all the way across the lot and there is no card reader at the pump...prepay is required and it's a long walk if you have to go back and get change or your card back...

/ Now I remember why cities are just cancer #10  
I don't prepay... period. I can count on one hand the number of times in the last 15 years that I didn't fill my tank, usually because I'm trading the vehicle.
Several places around with that policy still don't have pay at the pumps yet I'm supposed to go in and leave my CC with them while filling my tank? I don't think so.
I'm another who doesn't appreciate stations who post one price yet have another for credit once you pull in. One local chain takes it a step further, the price posted is for people who have their debit card linked to their "rewards" card. I don't even have a debit card but even if I did, there's no way that I would link some gas card to my checking account.

Status
Not open for further replies.