Novatractor BX72R Chipper - questions

/ Novatractor BX72R Chipper - questions #1  

ning

Elite Member
Tractor
Branson 3520h
Earlier today I saw a post about a novatractor ditch mower, and curious about the device I went to the novatractor site to check it out. Once there I saw that they sell wallenstein-copy chipper... and I'm in the market for a chipper.

I've pretty much narrowed my search to the Woodmaxx WM-8H and the Woodland Mills WC88, primarily because what I've got to chip isn't typically very straight (scrub oak) and I'd like to have a hydraulic feed. My intention is to limit what I chip to 3" oak, and probably 5" of pine, as I burn everything bigger (until recent fire-fuels-reduction efforts I've typically burned down to about 1.5" but I've got so much stuff to clear that I can't burn enough wood to keep up); I think my tractor's PTO should be able to keep up with that with the feed dialed down appropriately.

So, about the novatractor's BX72R. It's right in the same class as the above two. A couple notable differences:
  • Direct connection to PTO (presumably there's a friction clutch on the shaft) - no belts. I assume that if you overload it, you either spin the clutch or stall the tractor.
  • four 7" blades on a 220 pound rotor
  • Uses tractor's hydraulics. I think that's a positive, as there's less on the chipper to fail and maintain; my tractor has a backhoe which I believe I can hook it up to, and also a couple remotes though I'd need a bungie cord for that...
  • Both feed rollers have their own hydraulic drive. Not sure if entirely necessary, or different than the other two chippers (I think the Woodland Mills only has a single roller)
  • Rotor cover is hinged like the Woodland Mills
  • Legs look wimpy and could probably use skids.

Does anyone have any experience with 1, this seller; 2, any equipment from them; 3, this chipper unit? Random opinions? I'm aware it's probably made in China; the other two are as well.

/ Novatractor BX72R Chipper - questions #2  
Novatractor is Jack Yuan. He used to post here, mostly about flail mowers. Seems like a knowledgeable guy.

The Woodmaxx 8H has two motors, one for each roller. I think that's cheaper and easier than a mechanical linkage. Two driven rollers is one reason I went with Woodmaxx instead of Woodland Mills. But the Woodland Mills unit has some nice features like being able to unbolt half of the flywheel housing to get to the knives. There's an access door for the moving knives on the Woodmaxx but to get to the bed knife you need to reach way into the chute. The 8H also has an lift bar to lift the moving roller up over the end of a larger piece. If you watch the Woodland Mills video they sometimes have a hard time getting a piece to feed. With the lift bar I can pick up the roller when I chuck a short thick piece in there. Way safer than trying to push it in.

The 8H's separate hydraulic system and belt drive don't require much maintenance. I have yet to need to adjust the belts with 50 hours on the unit. I bought extra belts just in case but they're just sitting in a box. I would get an extra set of knives though, so you can keep working while you send a set out to be sharpened or sharpen them yourself.

The one time I jammed the rotor the belt just slipped until I shut it off. The 8H has a shear pin in the PTO. I couldn't find any damage to the belts.

/ Novatractor BX72R Chipper - questions #3  
Earlier today I saw a post about a novatractor ditch mower, and curious about the device I went to the novatractor site to check it out. Once there I saw that they sell wallenstein-copy chipper... and I'm in the market for a chipper.

I've pretty much narrowed my search to the Woodmaxx WM-8H and the Woodland Mills WC88, primarily because what I've got to chip isn't typically very straight (scrub oak) and I'd like to have a hydraulic feed. My intention is to limit what I chip to 3" oak, and probably 5" of pine, as I burn everything bigger (until recent fire-fuels-reduction efforts I've typically burned down to about 1.5" but I've got so much stuff to clear that I can't burn enough wood to keep up); I think my tractor's PTO should be able to keep up with that with the feed dialed down appropriately.

So, about the novatractor's BX72R. It's right in the same class as the above two. A couple notable differences:
  • Direct connection to PTO (presumably there's a friction clutch on the shaft) - no belts. I assume that if you overload it, you either spin the clutch or stall the tractor.
  • four 7" blades on a 220 pound rotor
  • Uses tractor's hydraulics. I think that's a positive, as there's less on the chipper to fail and maintain; my tractor has a backhoe which I believe I can hook it up to, and also a couple remotes though I'd need a bungie cord for that...
  • Both feed rollers have their own hydraulic drive. Not sure if entirely necessary, or different than the other two chippers (I think the Woodland Mills only has a single roller)
  • Rotor cover is hinged like the Woodland Mills
  • Legs look wimpy and could probably use skids.

Does anyone have any experience with 1, this seller; 2, any equipment from them; 3, this chipper unit? Random opinions? I'm aware it's probably made in China; the other two are as well.

I have purchased a flail from Novatractor (Jack) and it's a good piece of equipment. Jack spent a decent amount of time talking with me (via email) about his manufacturing process, the difference between his designs and the others, etc. and has been very responsive to any after purchase issues I've had. I can't vouch for the chipper but if I were in a position to purchase a chipper I would strongly consider the Novatractor chipper.

/ Novatractor BX72R Chipper - questions #4  
I have the Wallenstein BX62S. It's used on my Kubota M6040. 55 PTO HP. I only chip pine - 1" to 6" diameter.

Your tractor PTO hp is on the lower end of the suggested size scale. If you are going to chip larger material - pine up to 5" - do it when the pine is still "green". It will chip a whole lot easier. Plus with the hydraulic in-feed, you can slow it down so it won't "choke up".

Otherwise - it looks like a chipper - at least on paper - that is every bit as good as Wallenstein and half the price. Let us know how it works out.

/ Novatractor BX72R Chipper - questions
I'm aware that my hp is on the bottom end of the suggested range; I'm expecting to need to turn down the feed rate... getting a smaller chipper that needs less hp would be counterproductive I believe as it wouldn't be able to chip my bigger stuff at all; I'm fine not chipping to the max of the unit as I do heat with wood, and the larger units have the good features (like large mouth for crooked branches and hydraulic feed).

Besides, if my next property is what I'm hoping (not sure when!) I'll probably end up with a bigger tractor, isn't that the goal of this site?