Nothing Runs Like a Deere...

/ Nothing Runs Like a Deere... #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
I need a 1/2" coarse thread stud to attach the hydraulically powered mower (15') to the speed increaser that is mounted to the PTO.

Went to my local "we have everything" store...and indeed, they had what I needed. Curious, the owner asked what's it for? (he's thinking automobile) I said to attach said mower to my tractor.

"ahhhhh.... what kind of tractor do you have"
"an old international"

"you know.... nothing runs like a Deere" he ribbed with a smile on his face.

(so I apparently walked into a den of Deere owners, which is fine by me.....bunch of nice chaps)

So I said

"The Deere HAS to run..... to get away from the International"

He just shut up. lol. All was in good jest on both sides and I DID let them know that I also have a Deere lawn mower and a Deere Gator. That might have calmed them down a bit and let me know I wasn't as bad as I might have acted.

/ Nothing Runs Like a Deere...
yep, 1066, runs like a scalded dog. sucker is loud with that straight pipe

/ Nothing Runs Like a Deere... #4  
IH probably made some of the best farm tractors ever made.
Then they started letting marketing and accounting guys over-rule the tractor engineering department.

/ Nothing Runs Like a Deere... #5  
I have 3. Couldn't agree more. The 1066, 656 and 454 were the ones that were dominant in our area. A few farmers had 1466s. I have 3 140s.

/ Nothing Runs Like a Deere... #7  

Several factors contributed to IH's demise. Ultimately I feel that Mr. Peanut F'ing the American farm industry in the A contributed to the ultimate collapse the Americans tractor industry more than anything else. JD is pretty much the only U.S. tractor manufacturer to survive. Other than IH Allis Chalmers got bought, so did White, Ford eventually sold off their tractor division. Tenneco bought Case and IH and merged them, but they're now under Fiat's ownership along with Ford.... I mean New Holland, and Chrysler. White owned, and folded Oliver, and Minneapolis-Moline in 75. (pre-Mr. Peanut) Massey Ferguson is owned by AGCO (which is kind of Allis Chalmers, under a new name) but Massey Harris (a Canadian company) merged with the Ferguson Company (a British company) in the 50's or early 60's, and was kind of a Canadian company until the mid-90's when AGCO bought them. IDK, the chits confusing, but whatever the case, the U.S. tractor industry went to poop in the 70's/80's. It's ashame as we did it better than that BS they made in the combloc countries, or anywhere else at the time. Not that Combloc tractors were unreliable, but they were uckin fugly, and they did little to stir the soul, and make you want to get out and sweet your balls off in the heat because you like tractors... Plus they were fugly. God I used to hate Longs.

I will say this comparing old Deere's to IH, the old Deere I6 engines needed noticeably larger displacement to achieve the same power as IH was making. We're talking mid-6L's vs over 8L engines. I always understood the Deere's to have more robust components, but IDK, it's not like the IH farmers I knew were breaking axles right and left or anything, or at least not as far as I knew. Both old Deere and IH I6's sound amazing, especially with some good old fashion rain flap flutter thrown into the mix.

/ Nothing Runs Like a Deere... #8  
Since we're talking old tractors, what was "multi power"?
The Massey 175 I used in the orchard had it. All that I remember is that without it the tractor would freewheel, with it the engine would take off on the governor.
The tractor I used had one weak brake, I applied them going downhill one wet morning and it took off! Straight downhill, then the orchard ended at a tree line. It's the only time in my life I put a tractor into a powerslide to make the turn.

/ Nothing Runs Like a Deere... #9  
I was working for an IH dealer in the late seventies and early eighties.

This time period was major downturn in farming and IH chose to go into the financing of farm machinery which was just really bad timing and it was the IH undoing.

/ Nothing Runs Like a Deere... #10  
Nothing like first hand knowledge!