Not sure what welder cables I need, where to buy

/ Not sure what welder cables I need, where to buy #1  

RocketJSquirrel

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 755
I finally bought my own stick welder, a Miller Dialarc 250. It came with out any cables, so I need to get a pair so I can start burning some sticks. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have a manual with it that tells the cable sizing requirements but it doesn't tell much else about the cables. Do I just go to the local welding supply house and tell them what length and gauge I want, and they make them up?

Or go to the Farm & Fleet and buy something pre-made? Any suggestions will help.

-Don M "itching to melt something."

/ Not sure what welder cables I need, where to buy #2  
Yep, they'll make them up for you. I don't remember for sure but they probably charge by the foot and additional for attaching the connectors.

/ Not sure what welder cables I need, where to buy #3  
You might want to tell them to put a whip on the end of you stinger cable,its a 6-7ft long cable,that is lighter than the rest of the lead,it can get heavy,a welding supply place should know what it is,and what size for your machine. RICHARD GAUTHIER

/ Not sure what welder cables I need, where to buy #4  
For stick welding, I use a Lincoln ac/dc gas driven unit. I went to AIRCO and bought heavy cables and had them attach TWECO 1/2 turn quick disconnect ends at the welder connection. That way I can disconnect the cables from the welder or change the polarity on dc quickly. The Lincoln doesn't have a polarity switch.

I only use the Lincoln for hard rodding or really heavy welding. Mostly I use a Lincoln Idealarc wire machine or a Miller TIG welder.

Daryl
Forage Services, L.P.

/ Not sure what welder cables I need, where to buy #5  
I'll second the quick locks, I have a 15'&50' ground and a 50' w/ electrode and 2 50' extensions all w/ quick locks so u can use what ever the job requires.
W/ a portable and shop unit this is handy to switch around.
TSC also has 50' rolls of welding cable, this also makes excellent jumper cables.

/ Not sure what welder cables I need, where to buy #6  
One other item, get you cables made up at a weding store. I don't have anything against TSC, The welding store will have the proper crimping tools and the knowledge and advise to get you set up properly the first time.

Daryl
Forage Services, L.P.