Not Enough Babies?

/ Not Enough Babies? #1  

ultrarunner

Epic Contributor
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
   / Not Enough Babies? #3  
With declining birth rates, we will eventually have even greater labor shortages.

/ Not Enough Babies?
I thought labor saving automation and AI predicted to result in vast surplus of labor?

Back in engineering school the prediction was finding ways to occupy free time and shortened work weeks with more time for leisure pursuits?

/ Not Enough Babies? #5  
I thought labor saving automation and AI predicted to result in vast surplus of labor?

Back in engineering school the prediction was finding ways to occupy free time and shortened work weeks with more time for leisure pursuits?
I guess only the future will tell. But there are still plenty of services that require human labor.

/ Not Enough Babies? #6  
I'm hoping my three kids have more children. They are great young adults and will do right by our grandchildren. The youngest just proposed, and recent talk was "dogs, goats, and babies" so it's sounding good!

/ Not Enough Babies? #7  
With declining birth rates, we will eventually have even greater labor shortages.
Hey, the Government is all over this! 30 million illegal aliens have been brought in to compensate for the lower birth rate!
https://thehill.com/opinion/4423296...-double-under-*****-and-thats-just-the-start/

/ Not Enough Babies? #8  
Wall Street Journal story calling attention to falling fertility rates???

For the last 50 years I thought it was too many babies?

I need a score card between ice age and global warming… so just one more topic to add.

From what I've read about the predictions in the 1968 book The Population Bomb, it seems that a decline in the birth rate will be a blessing.

There's also the assertion that after the decline in the population of Europe following great human die offs caused by things like bubonic plague that the plight of the peasants, working class or what ever anyone wants to call them was improved because labor was scarce and they were paid better.

/ Not Enough Babies? #9  
Nature abhors a vacuum and we're sucking in laborers in from our southern border at an alarming rate. Look at a construction project or the lines in Wal-Mart and you'll see evidence of that.

/ Not Enough Babies? #10  
Nature abhors a vacuum and we're sucking in laborers in from our southern border at an alarming rate. Look at a construction project or the lines in Wal-Mart and you'll see evidence of that.
True. But how do you know which Spanish speakers in Walmart are U.S. born citizens and those who aren’t? In my state, Spanish colonials have been here 400 years, and most switch between Spanish and English, depending on the audience or who they want to keep the conversation secret from.