Non-slip on alum diamond plate ramp ?

/ Non-slip on alum diamond plate ramp ? #1  

Skyco

Elite Member
I have a Featherlite enclosed trailer with an aluminum diamond plate loading ramp.
Yesterday after loading the tractor in the rain I slipped on the ramp and fell.

Thats twice now I've fallen on that ramp when wet and I don't intend to have a third. Dry it is fine.
Even though the diamonds don't seem to add much slip resistance I can say they make an excellent skin remover on bare knees:cool:

Seems to be a lot of different products for anti-slip and a lot of products to properly prepare bare aluminum to accept paint or a coating.

Any coatings experts out there with experience in bare aluminum skid resistant coatings? What worked or didn't etc...

/ Non-slip on alum diamond plate ramp ? #2  
I'd say use some spray-on or roll-on bed liner but that may add too much weight to the ramp...

/ Non-slip on alum diamond plate ramp ? #3  
3M has some grip tape , available in various widths that works excellent. Im not sure how well it would fit the contours of the diamond plate though.

/ Non-slip on alum diamond plate ramp ? #5  
My diamond plated aluminum truck bed is slippery when wet. By accident, I discovered that cement dust will adhere to it and limit the slipping. Won't look the best but would paint look any better?

/ Non-slip on alum diamond plate ramp ? #6  
My diamond plated aluminum truck bed is slippery when wet. By accident, I discovered that cement dust will adhere to it and limit the slipping. Won't look the best but would paint look any better?

I worked for a major motor carrier at a cement mill. Cement sticks to aluminum and quickly makes a build up. The tops of the bulk trailers would get coated as the manway lid gaskets started leaking. That was always a job to do when they 'needed' something for the 'college kid' to do...go chip the buildup away from the dome lid dogs & adjust them tighter...fill a pocket w/ all the fender washers the drivers had installed to make the dogs seal the lids...

Dont expect it to shine again...

/ Non-slip on alum diamond plate ramp ? #7  
I'd try sand-blasting it.

/ Non-slip on alum diamond plate ramp ? #9  
If it shined, it would no longer match the rest of the truck, lol!

My first job, as a 'college' kid, at the truck garage was washing cement bulk delivery tractors using Muriatic Acid/H2O and all the 'chrome' would be black 'cept for the one guy who anually painted his chrome w/ a clear coating.

Imron paint ended that job. The cement dust even statyed on that but a vinegar wash removed it.

/ Non-slip on alum diamond plate ramp ? #10  
My first job, as a 'college' kid, at the truck garage was washing cement bulk delivery tractors using Muriatic Acid/H2O and all the 'chrome' would be black 'cept for the one guy who anually painted his chrome w/ a clear coating.

Imron paint ended that job. The cement dust even statyed on that but a vinegar wash removed it.
I used to acid wash a dump trailer that I pulled. Not my favorite job. I did my flatbed a few times also. Glad I don't bother with that anymore.