Non-Dealer repair shops. How many of you use them?

/ Non-Dealer repair shops. How many of you use them? #1  

fidowanttobe

Platinum Member
Tractor
Jinma 284 2007 Massey Harris 44 Special
How many of you all have a shop or mechanic that is you go-to INSTEAD of the dealer?
Myself, I do all of my repairs and what I can with the locals that ask for my help, what I can't usually goes to the local shop that is not a sales dealership, only repairs. Very honest man. But he is busy. Not slow, but busy and of course he has to make a living with overhead so it's not cheap, but far less than Deere.
Often see on here that people are resentful of their dealer, have you tried the local repair shop or is this guy a rarity in America?? Thanks.

/ Non-Dealer repair shops. How many of you use them? #2  
Our local repair shops in my immediate area closed. They couldn’t make enough money to sustain their businesses.
I am fortunate to have pretty solid dealerships for service, but the cost of service per hour is now in the $130/hr range and crop prices aren’t up very much. After doing what I can, if I can’t fix it, it goes on the trailer and gets trucked to the dealership. Road service is outrageously priced. Just getting a large machine to the dealer is $400 each way because of the price of trucking. I can do that myself

/ Non-Dealer repair shops. How many of you use them? #3  
All non-dealer repair shops, that are still open, are in Spokane. That's where the dealer is, also. I just use the dealer. Used this same dealer for over twelve years. They are honest and fair priced.

/ Non-Dealer repair shops. How many of you use them? #4  
Not speaking of tractors. But, on my vehicles I avoid the Dealers unless I absolutely have to use them.

On my Wife's new Ford I use the Dealer because their oil is pretty darn good oil, her car is virtually impossible to crawl under, the engine is completely covered, I haven't found the oil filter yet, I'm too old to be crawling around on the ground, I usually ruin $50 worth of clothing whenever I change the oil and...... It's only $67 to change her oil and filter.

On my Ram CTD, every time I used the Dealer in the past, I regretted it. Even when it was free, I regretted it.

Find a trusted Indy and use him.

/ Non-Dealer repair shops. How many of you use them? #5  
I don't think I have ever heard of/seen an independent tractor repair shop. I wouldn't think the volume would be there for such an operation but that probably depends on the area. I handle most things myself but am finding that outsourcing some of this stuff as I get older to be nice. Age overcoming my natural cheapness I guess...

/ Non-Dealer repair shops. How many of you use them? #6  
The FEW times I would NEED an auto repair show todo stuff I cannot do, I choose a nobrand generic shop. Never needed the tractor dealer yet.

/ Non-Dealer repair shops. How many of you use them? #7  
When I got my first tractor, it was a Ford 8n, and my skills were at a push lawnmower stage, so I took it to a private shop that could do about anything to any type machine.

He was a poor businessman , and had to close the shop and take a government job that paid better, and had benefits.

That was a catalyst for me to start learning how to work on my own equipment. My best teacher was You tube, and a willingness to start a repair I didn’t know how to do.
Now, there is only a few jobs I won’t tackle, transmission, hydraulic pump rebuild. If I have the necessary tools, I will do it myself.
So far, so good.

/ Non-Dealer repair shops. How many of you use them? #8  
Our local tractor repair shop is very busy. At least 2 months out. They are the only independent shop in the area.

/ Non-Dealer repair shops. How many of you use them? #9  
I must be fortunate. My dealer don't charge me for pickup or delivery.

/ Non-Dealer repair shops. How many of you use them? #10  
I must be fortunate. My dealer don't charge me for pickup or delivery.
Here we are again, in a conundrum.

We all know the risks of buying from a small dealer that's living on a wing and a prayer. But they're the ones most likely to be the friendly type that will pick up and deliver your tractor without sqawking about it when they do service on it.

Conversely, when you buy from a huge dealership that sells multi-million dollar machines and has a fully stocked, ready to rock 'n roll service department, they're the ones most likely to tell you that P/U and Del are $75 for the 1st 10 miles and $X per mile over that. No matter who you are.

I can understand it. A big roll-back isn't cheap to own and operate. And the driver....?? Can't get them to work for free.

In a shop, a mechanic is worth a lot of money. A lot. Usually well over $100 an hour to the shop. It's hard to justify sending a $100 an hour guy out to do a P/U or delivery. Cletus works cheaper. Send him. But small shops are often a one or two man show.

Like I said....... Another conundrum.