Non CDL F250 towing 12K trailer across state lines ?

/ Non CDL F250 towing 12K trailer across state lines ? #71  
My pickups do not have farm tags, just the trailers.
Doesn't that limit you to the 26,001 rule if you truck doesn't have Farm Tags?

/ Non CDL F250 towing 12K trailer across state lines ?
In Mi farm tags only cover activities within a 150 mile radius of the farm operation and do not cover inter state activities.

/ Non CDL F250 towing 12K trailer across state lines ? #73  
I love discussions like this, where everyone thinks they are right because they are going by what they have heard, what is available online , what is allowed in their state, and what they have gotten away with.
In my 4.5 million miles of commercial work, and several hundred thousand miles of personal hauling, there is one thing that you can count on, and that is whatever loophole you have found, someone has enacted a law to cover it.
A former boss had a requirement of us, NEVER argue with the DOT! If you argued, it only made it worse! You can't tell him how to do his job, you can't know how many more tickets he has to write before he reaches his quota for the current timeframe.
Hay Dude, in order to get that clean DOT Inspection, I would be willing to bet that you were polite, answered the questions the officer asked, provided the paperwork he asked for and gave the impression that you knew what you were doing and how you were supposed to do it! Most of the time they are just doing a job, like you are, and aren't looking for a fight. Give them one and you won't be the winner! Right?
I can tell stories about what DOT officers have done that will make most people cringe, and most of the time when it happens to me, I just accept it and figure I got by with enough things that getting cited for whatever they are nailing me for was way less than I deserved. As a driver, you have to be on your toes and know what they are looking for, and have the answers already figured out before they ask the question!
David from jax

Underrated post. Smile, nod, say "have a nice day." Let the attorney be the bad guy. Of course, I'm fortunate to have three of them as immediate family.

/ Non CDL F250 towing 12K trailer across state lines ? #74  
Pickups are under 26,001# GVWR with regular tags. The statute does not address the plates on the towing vehicle, just that the farm trailer being towed does not exceed 20,000# GVWR. Here is the actual statute:

1704212023591.png

/ Non CDL F250 towing 12K trailer across state lines ? #75  
That changes everything. I've been thinking that I need to have two trucks to be legal, and still be able to haul 20,000 pounds. One truck for farm use, the other for going to work in. I need to do some more thinking on this and what I should buy.

/ Non CDL F250 towing 12K trailer across state lines ? #76  
That changes everything. I've been thinking that I need to have two trucks to be legal, and still be able to haul 20,000 pounds. One truck for farm use, the other for going to work in. I need to do some more thinking on this and what I should buy.
Thankfully, that is a Texas law and doesn't apply here in Florida! Not that my pickup hasn't been to Texas a time or two, but have never been stopped. (which doesn't mean I am legal, just lucky!)
David from jax

/ Non CDL F250 towing 12K trailer across state lines ? #77  
Thankfully, that is a Texas law and doesn't apply here in Florida! Not that my pickup hasn't been to Texas a time or two, but have never been stopped. (which doesn't mean I am legal, just lucky!)
David from jax
You don’t have to conform to tx dot laws, just your home states dot laws, Florida. Only Texans have to deal with that bs.

/ Non CDL F250 towing 12K trailer across state lines ? #78  
   / Non CDL F250 towing 12K trailer across state lines ? #79  
There also seems to be the "hotshot" class of operators who are non CDL, I have no idea of the legal basis under which they operate since they appear to be getting paid for what they do...
Add air brakes to your list. Perhaps a couple of other things. Although some people above mentioned, "commercial" is a major determination.

Quite a few hot shot truckers I've seen have a DOT number/sticker on their vehicles. I don't know if that includes a CDL or not.

A few years ago I was told to never ever stop at a weigh station. If the weighmaster wants to talk to you, they'll come and get you. I don't know if that was savvy advice, but it seemed to work. My experience is that they don't really want every pickup crossing the scales.

For a lot of things they seem to go by the vehicle registration laws for where your vehicle is registered. I can't say if that is universal, but if you meet the laws in the state where you are licensed, you likely will be OK.

I've got a little 4x8 flatbed cargo trailer that I've had coast to coast, and in probably half of the states. In Oregon a license and title isn't required, although other states may require them. So far no legal issues.

/ Non CDL F250 towing 12K trailer across state lines ? #80  
Here in Oregon, there are three trailer classifications (plus a few other specialty classifications).
No License/Title - Loaded weight < 1,800 lbs.
U - utility trailers < 8000 lbs.
HP - Heavy Trailer Permanent Tags > 8000 lbs.

The HP trailers Must be towed by a vehicle with T plates (either pickup or truck).

The weight of the tow vehicle, trailer, and load all go into the "T" registration fees.
And the fees go up quite a bit based on the weight.

As far as I can tell, up to 26K, this is independent of the CDL requirements.