Non CDL F250 towing 12K trailer across state lines ?

/ Non CDL F250 towing 12K trailer across state lines ? #31  
Something to check, is your GCVWR. Adding both GVW doesn't really count.
My 2000 F350 is 11,200 and my Big Tex is 14k, however my GCVWR is 20,000 according to Ford. I recently pulled a load from AR to Jax at 23 and some change. I was legal on my axles, but over on GCVWR.
Since all the weigh stations were either closed or had sign that said Commercial Vehicles I elected to bypass. One thing to note, I do have a CDL and drive for a living.
As far as a lot of opinions about HOTSHOT drivers, yall might be surprised at how many actually do have CDLs.
$5k in fuel and four weeks work plus the wear and tear might be worth hiring a full sized rig to haul the heaviest items in one trip. Making that happen might free you up to one or two much lighter trips.
David from jax
lol. No, you go by each vehicles gvwr sticker. Let’s not give the overbearing idiots any ideals.

/ Non CDL F250 towing 12K trailer across state lines ? #32  
Yes, unfortunately that may be a gray area turning black. A privately owned truck and trailer weighing over 26k is technically illegal on most standard drivers license. Many states don’t have an allowance for a different class of non-commercial drivers license. To legally move 26k, you need a CDL in those states. However, being non-commercial you dont need e-logs, log books or a medical card. Good luck explaining that to a sheriffs deputy or trooper roadside. Another catch-22 by our bungling bureaucrats.
Illegal for commerce. And it’s 26k and 1 pound. 26k even is non cdl.

Last edited:
   / Non CDL F250 towing 12K trailer across state lines ? #33  
Know someone that made a living doing hotshot deliveries being stealth because his toy hauler was classified as RV...

/ Non CDL F250 towing 12K trailer across state lines ? #34  
Eddie, hope you dont plan on moving far, because the cost per mile with a Uhaul is impressive, over and above the gas that those trucks suck at 8mpg.... $0.79 per mile. 3000 mile round trip, assume 8mpg is $2370 per trip for mileage, another $1300 in fuel based on $3.50/gal add another $280/week for the truck itself. Thus $3950 per load with a 1 week round trip. x 4 = $15800 (bear in mind Uhaul may not have trailers rated for 8500lb payload). One can probably find a trucking company to move those 4 loads for that price.
If your destination is California the rate might be half... just saying.

/ Non CDL F250 towing 12K trailer across state lines ? #35  
I hate moving. I lived out of my truck and motel rooms for the better part of 10 years, only coming home about once a month. Hopefully when I leave here it will be in a box, but if not there's going to be one big yard sale before I go.

/ Non CDL F250 towing 12K trailer across state lines ?
I had an engine shipped from Tucson AZ to MI recently. 90% of the quotes were over $1000 for a crate 36x36x28 and weighing 300lb. At the time when I will be doing the move I will be unemployed so I will have plenty of time and be trying to save any money that I can. The next time I get any income will be when I get my business started which will probably not be for 2 years. If Im lucky I may get some contract work for 5 months next winter but there is no telling if that is going to happen or not. Im going to be building my house by myself excluding the concrete pours for which I will need a crew for sure.

If the F250 is done afterward that is OK, its the only reason why I bought it. It has only 117k miles and the 6.4 crapped itself, so it will have a refreshed Cummins 5.9 running it in spring so that should hold up at least another 200k miles. It got a rebore. new pistons and rings, all bearings, a cylinder head rebuild, new turbo and new VE injection pump. Not a dragster but should be adequate to cross the plains several times and very reliable.

/ Non CDL F250 towing 12K trailer across state lines ?
If your destination is California the rate might be half... just saying.
A crisis created by former Californians leaving the state ??? I dont think I could come up with any possible reason that would be my destination....

/ Non CDL F250 towing 12K trailer across state lines ? #38  
I had an engine shipped from Tucson AZ to MI recently. 90% of the quotes were over $1000 for a crate 36x36x28 and weighing 300lb. At the time when I will be doing the move I will be unemployed so I will have plenty of time and be trying to save any money that I can. The next time I get any income will be when I get my business started which will probably not be for 2 years. If Im lucky I may get some contract work for 5 months next winter but there is no telling if that is going to happen or not. Im going to be building my house by myself excluding the concrete pours for which I will need a crew for sure.

If the F250 is done afterward that is OK, its the only reason why I bought it. It has only 117k miles and the 6.4 crapped itself, so it will have a refreshed Cummins 5.9 running it in spring so that should hold up at least another 200k miles. It got a rebore. new pistons and rings, all bearings, a cylinder head rebuild, new turbo and new VE injection pump. Not a dragster but should be adequate to cross the plains several times and very reliable.

So you are doing a “Fummins” (Ford with a Cummins)?

/ Non CDL F250 towing 12K trailer across state lines ? #39  
lol. No, you go by each vehicles gvwr sticker. Let’s not give the overbearing idiots any ideals.
Sorry, but they already have these ideas.
If you get stopped, they can nail you for almost anything, such as EXCEEDING THE MANUFACTURERS WEIGHT CAPACITY. Since Ford has a published 11,200 GVWR and a GCVWR of 20k on my truck, then the DOT can and will write you a citation for exceeding it. They can write you a ticket for exceeding each GVWR that each manufacturer has set for either the truck or the trailer, or the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating that is published by the towing vehicle manufacturer. They can also cite you for exceeding axle ratings, or tire ratings, or how about ball ratings or the hitch rating? Anything that is exceeded can be cited.
So, as an example...
Can I mount a gooseneck hitch in my Chevy 1500 pickup with a 7500 pound towing package and pull 14,000 gross trailer if the trailer is rated to haul 14000? If I balance the load on the trailer, and keep the hitch weight below the half ton trucks GVW, is it legal? (not smart, but is it legal?) Nope and for good reason!

This is a perfect example of why I tend to stay out of the CDL comments or toss in 2 cents and leave, because there are too many variables and too many assumptions by people who either go by their experience, their interpretation of a whole lot of laws that darn few understand, including the people who are attempting to enforce them.

/ Non CDL F250 towing 12K trailer across state lines ? #40  
Sorry, but they already have these ideas.
If you get stopped, they can nail you for almost anything, such as EXCEEDING THE MANUFACTURERS WEIGHT CAPACITY. Since Ford has a published 11,200 GVWR and a GCVWR of 20k on my truck, then the DOT can and will write you a citation for exceeding it. They can write you a ticket for exceeding each GVWR that each manufacturer has set for either the truck or the trailer, or the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating that is published by the towing vehicle manufacturer. They can also cite you for exceeding axle ratings, or tire ratings, or how about ball ratings or the hitch rating? Anything that is exceeded can be cited.
So, as an example...
Can I mount a gooseneck hitch in my Chevy 1500 pickup with a 7500 pound towing package and pull 14,000 gross trailer if the trailer is rated to haul 14000? If I balance the load on the trailer, and keep the hitch weight below the half ton trucks GVW, is it legal? (not smart, but is it legal?) Nope and for good reason!

This is a perfect example of why I tend to stay out of the CDL comments or toss in 2 cents and leave, because there are too many variables and too many assumptions by people who either go by their experience, their interpretation of a whole lot of laws that darn few understand, including the people who are attempting to enforce them.
No. Towing capacity is not enforceable unless you exceed it. The manufacturer says you can tow up to xxx, What your actually responsible for is you actual stickered gvwr’s you choose to take down the road.

But what I think your alluding too is some LE’s are idiots and write stuff up to see what sticks. Yes, that is gross trend that goes unchecked. Prosecutors and judges are well aware and unfortunately we just pay and it only becomes standard protocol.