Non CDL F250 towing 12K trailer across state lines ?

/ Non CDL F250 towing 12K trailer across state lines ? #21  
Sorry about your brother. I found the rest of your post amusing and very true!
When I was teaching my daughter how to drive, I drilled it into her brain to avoid UHauls, RV'S, and cars / SUV's towing trailers. I give them all a very wide berth.
Side note, I rented a large enclosed UHaul trailer, and was shocked how well it towed.

/ Non CDL F250 towing 12K trailer across state lines ? #22  
Make sure that your load is chained/strapped properly. Make sure all of your lights are working. Strap a bale or two of hay down on the trailer for added insurance and head out.:)

/ Non CDL F250 towing 12K trailer across state lines ? #23  

Thread is for a heavier truck but still good info.

If your trailer is >10k, keep your gross combined truck + trailer <26k.

If you have a </=10k trailer, keep your gross truck <26k.

/ Non CDL F250 towing 12K trailer across state lines ? #24  
My only fear is what happens if you are in an accident. If you need a CDL or trip permit, and don’t have it, wouldn’t the insurance companies potentially deny coverage?

/ Non CDL F250 towing 12K trailer across state lines ? #25  
That dude was in business. You are not. CDL…”COMMERCIAL”. Are you commercial? Now some stupid states like cali address this with RV requirements. And yes, cdl are enforced by the gvwr on the vehicles/trailers, not the actual weight unless your overloaded. If you’re a biz and have a vehicle(s) with weight ratings over the 26k (10k trailer in some nanny states) and are empty you’re still fined and parked. The scales only come out to find if your overloaded past tagged or manufacturers weight limit.

Also, cdl laws are arbitrary number pushed by teamster lobbyist back in the early 90’s. The limits were also inspired by the current vehicle. Back then to tow 26k you had to have a pretty heavy vehicle. Now, with engineering and safety advancements current trucks can safely pull way more weight than what was available when cdl laws were put in place. the laws need updating.
Yes, unfortunately that may be a gray area turning black. A privately owned truck and trailer weighing over 26k is technically illegal on most standard drivers license. Many states don’t have an allowance for a different class of non-commercial drivers license. To legally move 26k, you need a CDL in those states. However, being non-commercial you dont need e-logs, log books or a medical card. Good luck explaining that to a sheriffs deputy or trooper roadside. Another catch-22 by our bungling bureaucrats.

/ Non CDL F250 towing 12K trailer across state lines ? #26  
My only fear is what happens if you are in an accident. If you need a CDL or trip permit, and don’t have it, wouldn’t the insurance companies potentially deny coverage?
Let’s say you have one of those large rv trailers with a gvwr of 17500 lbs and a tow vehicle with a gvwr of 9800 lbs. CDL ?

/ Non CDL F250 towing 12K trailer across state lines ?
If I ever move again, I'm renting a Uhaul and pulling a trailer. It's cheap, easy and nobody messes with you!!!
Eddie, hope you dont plan on moving far, because the cost per mile with a Uhaul is impressive, over and above the gas that those trucks suck at 8mpg.... $0.79 per mile. 3000 mile round trip, assume 8mpg is $2370 per trip for mileage, another $1300 in fuel based on $3.50/gal add another $280/week for the truck itself. Thus $3950 per load with a 1 week round trip. x 4 = $15800 (bear in mind Uhaul may not have trailers rated for 8500lb payload). One can probably find a trucking company to move those 4 loads for that price.

/ Non CDL F250 towing 12K trailer across state lines ? #28  
Something to check, is your GCVWR. Adding both GVW doesn't really count.
My 2000 F350 is 11,200 and my Big Tex is 14k, however my GCVWR is 20,000 according to Ford. I recently pulled a load from AR to Jax at 23 and some change. I was legal on my axles, but over on GCVWR.
Since all the weigh stations were either closed or had sign that said Commercial Vehicles I elected to bypass. One thing to note, I do have a CDL and drive for a living.
As far as a lot of opinions about HOTSHOT drivers, yall might be surprised at how many actually do have CDLs.
$5k in fuel and four weeks work plus the wear and tear might be worth hiring a full sized rig to haul the heaviest items in one trip. Making that happen might free you up to one or two much lighter trips.
David from jax

/ Non CDL F250 towing 12K trailer across state lines ? #29  
I just want to clarify, my F350 and trailer are never for hire, and the driving I do with my CDL is driving a semi as a company driver. The load out of AR to Jax was person property in transit.
Another thing to do, grab a map and locate all the states with weigh stations on your route, and call each of them, writing down names and what they say. Record the conversations if possible.
David from jax

/ Non CDL F250 towing 12K trailer across state lines ? #30  
Let’s say you have one of those large rv trailers with a gvwr of 17500 lbs and a tow vehicle with a gvwr of 9800 lbs. CDL ?
Federal dot laws do not limit private gvwr. Some states do, like cali.
cdl laws and flow charts…Yada Yada are for COMMERCE travel interstate and intrastate. Recreation and private use not governed.