Non CDL F250 towing 12K trailer across state lines ?

/ Non CDL F250 towing 12K trailer across state lines ? #11  
Just put one of these on your trailer and truck. It works for me all the time!
They think you're one of them. :rolleyes:
1704045813919.png

/ Non CDL F250 towing 12K trailer across state lines ? #12  
I went thru something similar regarding the need for a cdl when I purchased a large boat.
I got quite a few different answers even from the folks who are enforcing….. I called the Wisconsin dmv. They told me that under 26000 lbs, don't worry. When I pressed them for written confirmation, they told me to call the State patrol as they would be the one ticketing me. I called the State patrol and they said I should be fine. I told them I need to be 100% clear and legal. They said they would check on it and call back. An hour later, they called and confirmed that it is not what you are towing that matters, it is the combined GVWR of the truck and what is being towed. If that number is over 26000 lbs, you MUST have a cdl. So, my truck is rated at 12500 lbs, boat trailer at 22000. No question, I need a cdl.
I did tell them that this is for personal use, no monitary gain.
By the way, my actual weight loaded is just a bit over 25000lbs. Again, the GVWR trumps the actual weight. So, I asked the nice officer if I could ask a question. Say the wife and I went out for dinner, each had one beer, and get stopped for a trafic violation. The officer smells beer on my breath and I blow under the legal limit. Will I get a ticket for dui? He says no. I then ask, if I tow my boat and I am under the 26000 lbs threshold, will I get ticketed for being over weight, even though I am not. He said yes! The reason being is that I could be. Might be different in the states you are traveling. A friend of mine was ticked for exactly this reason, and he was not loaded. Personally, I was glad I got the cal a few years back, going thru the process here in Wisconsin is now kinda expensive as you must go to classes.
In PA, a boat or RV owner is exempt from the 26000# CDL requirement. Laws vary by state though, so it pays to check.

/ Non CDL F250 towing 12K trailer across state lines ?
The states involved will be Michigan, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska and Colorado. The Youtuber couldn't simply pay the fine and continue, he was immediately "taken out of service", in other words parked and the trailer disconnected. The 10k weight limit on trailers seems very arbitrary, its pretty much impossible to build en equipment trailer light enough to give an under 10k gross when the piece of equipment weighs 8.5k to begin with. There also seems to be the "hotshot" class of operators who are non CDL, I have no idea of the legal basis under which they operate since they appear to be getting paid for what they do...

1704059572407.png

/ Non CDL F250 towing 12K trailer across state lines ? #15  
Don't know if they are still that way but Kansas caused me grief when I had to pass through on my move from Wa. To AR back in '98. I was pulling a GN #10k with my Chevy 1/2 ton pickup with various household items. Don't know the total weight anymore but it was under the overweight category. However in Kansas they not only required all trucks and trailers to stop at the truck scales but they also required a trip permit and fee. They held me at the Truck stop for over an hour while they did all kinds of checks on my papers, and who knows what, before they allowed me to give them money and proceed. At the time I was CDL licensed for just about any kind of vehicle.

So it might not hurt to check the States you intend to pass through to see if they have any "Gotchas".
That makes no sense, you follow the cdl laws of the state your registered in. Like cali with all their BS, hot shotters from other states can go in and get stuff with no cdl while residents there must comply with the 10k trailer thing.

/ Non CDL F250 towing 12K trailer across state lines ? #16  
The states involved will be Michigan, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska and Colorado. The Youtuber couldn't simply pay the fine and continue, he was immediately "taken out of service", in other words parked and the trailer disconnected. The 10k weight limit on trailers seems very arbitrary, its pretty much impossible to build en equipment trailer light enough to give an under 10k gross when the piece of equipment weighs 8.5k to begin with. There also seems to be the "hotshot" class of operators who are non CDL, I have no idea of the legal basis under which they operate since they appear to be getting paid for what they do...

View attachment 841731
Dude, he was in business, and his gvwr was well above the federal 26.1K. Your not in business.

/ Non CDL F250 towing 12K trailer across state lines ? #17  
COMMERCIAL…

/ Non CDL F250 towing 12K trailer across state lines ? #19  
No need to do the typical TBN over-analysis.
Westcliffe is within the law based on the info he provided.
Just keep the flow chart on board and keep positive.

/ Non CDL F250 towing 12K trailer across state lines ? #20  
My brother bought a motorhome when he was in his 20's so he could drink and drive. He's passed away now, but his entire life revolved around drinking beer all day long. He said that everyone driving an RV is all over the road, and if you are not speeding, the cops will never pull you over. I think he was right on this one.

Same thing goes with Uhaul vans. Nobody driving them has any idea what they are doing. They are overloaded, poorly secured, and I wouldn't be surprised if most of them are drinking while driving. Cops never bother with them unless you are doing something really scary. But I've dodged them on the highway and almost hit a cop car because of it without anything happening. There really isn't anything scarier on the road then a UHaul pulling a trailer!!! and nobody is going to pull them over, they are invisible to the police!!!!

When I moved to Texas, I rented U hauls three times and flew back to do it again. I pulled a trailer twice without any regard for weight or the laws. If it fits, it goes.

If I ever move again, I'm renting a Uhaul and pulling a trailer. It's cheap, easy and nobody messes with you!!!