NOAA Weather Radio opinions...

/ NOAA Weather Radio opinions... #1  

LostInTheWoods

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2601
Anyone have experience with a good NOAA weather radio? I'm looking for one that alerts with tornado warnings ONLY.

The one I have now alerts for thunderstorm watches, thunderstorm warnings, tornado watches, tornado warnings, etc. Can't get much sleep at night with this thing going off every 10 minutes to remind you you're under a watch.

I'd like one that lets you opt out of all the other watch/warnings, but will alert to a tornado warning for your specific location. The one I have will let you opt out of some warnings (i.e. flood warnings), but not the others.

Thanks

/ NOAA Weather Radio opinions... #2  
I am not sure but don't think you will find one that can block tornado/severe thunderstorm warnings. but watches other warnings/rest you can least shut off Radio shack unk model SAME equiped. I'm with you just the two big nastyes all I worry about

/ NOAA Weather Radio opinions...
I have no experience with them, so I don't know of the options available. I decided not to have one as I live at the intersection of three counties. I rely on TV newscasts for potential problems. Many of the HDTV channels have an optional weather channel with a radar presentation in case you don't have cable TV with the actual "Whether Channel" to watch. The Internet also offers several presentations of radar scans from the local weather bureau. I have a science background, so I favor an Internet radar scan for my needs. Maybe it's not the best, but at least I don't have three counties blaring information at me.

I agree, there are several good sites on the internet. I prefer the National Weather service doppler, which can be set to automatically update, and shows watches/warnings/etc. Our closest "local" TV stations do a good job as well breaking in and covering severe weather.

I'd like to get a good weather radio that only alerts for tornado warnings so I can sleep and not have to stay up and watch the TV and internet when I know we're going to be under a watch all night...

And when all else fails (power outage), its nice to have that battery-powered radio.

/ NOAA Weather Radio opinions... #4  
I have discovered that some of the local TV stations have a weather service where they text alerts to your mobile phone.

You can indicate the county/s of interest and the level of alert needed.

Works better for me than a SAME radio...My phone is with me all the time. I get text messages extremely seldom. Thus when one arrives, it gets my attention and 95% of the time is weather related.

Check into it for your area, may work for you.

/ NOAA Weather Radio opinions... #5  
I have a Reecom R-1650 that gives you the option of turning the alarm on or off for each of 76 alert messages. It has SAME operation. I can't tell you how good it works because we haven't and any event for it to alert yet. It does receive the NOAA broadcast OK.

Kim

I have discovered that some of the local TV stations have a weather service where they text alerts to your mobile phone.

You can indicate the county/s of interest and the level of alert needed.

Works better for me than a SAME radio...My phone is with me all the time. I get text messages extremely seldom. Thus when one arrives, it gets my attention and 95% of the time is weather related.

Check into it for your area, may work for you.

Good idea, texasjohn, I'll have to look into that:thumbsup:

I have a Reecom R-1650 that gives you the option of turning the alarm on or off for each of 76 alert messages. It has SAME operation. I can't tell you how good it works because we haven't and any event for it to alert yet. It does receive the NOAA broadcast OK.

Kim

76 alert messages! Does it alert you when your shoes are untied? How many alerts types are there? :laughing:

I'll look at the Reecom R-1650, see if it has what I'm looking for. Thanks Kim.

/ NOAA Weather Radio opinions... #8  
I have a First Alert WX-150 that works great.

Below is the list of alerts.

You can select the specific County or Counties you want to get alerts for.

Alert Description Table: The table below lists the alerts broadcast by NOAA. At the factory, your radio has been programmed with some alerts Blocked (B) as noted below. In addition, some NOAA alerts are Unblockable (UB) as noted below. To block additional events, see the SIREN MODE instructions on page 22.

(B) Administrative message
Avalanche Watch
Avalanche Warning
(UB) Biological Hazard Warning
Boil Water Warning
Blizzard Warning
Child Abduction Emergency
(UB) Civil Danger Warning
(UB) Civil Emergency Message
Coastal Flood Watch
Coastal Flood Warning
(UB) Chemical Hazard Warning
(UB) Contaminated Water Warning
(UB) Contagious Disease Warning
Dam Watch
(UB) Dam Break Warning
(B) Practice/Demo
Dust Storm Warning
(UB) Emergency Action Notification
(UB) Emergency Action Termination
(UB) Earthquake Warning
(UB) Immediate Evacuation Evacuation Watch
(UB) Food Contamination Warning
Flash Flood Watch
Flash Flood Statement
Flash Flood Warning
Flood Watch
Flood Statement
Flood Warning
Fire Warning
Flash Freeze Warning
Freeze Warning
Hurricane Statement
(UB) Hazardous Mat. Warning
Hurricane Watch
(UB) Hurricane Warning
High Wind Watch
High Wind Warning
Iceberg Warning :eek: ... In West Virginia !!
(UB) Industrial Fire Warning
(UB) Local Area Emergency
(UB) Law Enforcement Warning
(UB) Land Slide Warning
(B) National Audible Test
(B) National Information Center
(B) Network Notification Message
(B) National Periodic Test
(B) National Silent Test
(UB) Nuclear Plant Warning
Power Outage Advisory
(UB) Radiological Haz. Warning
(B) Required Monthly Test
(B) Required Weekly Test
Special Marine Warning
Special Weather Statement
(UB) Shelter In-Place Warning
Severe Thunderstorm Watch
Severe Thunderstorm Warning
Severe Weather Statement
Tornado Watch
911 Telephone Outage
(UB) Tornado Warning
Tropical Storm Watch
(UB) Tropical Storm Warning
(UB) Tsunami Watch
(UB) Tsunami Warning
(B) Transmitter Backup On
(B) Transmitter Carrier On
(B) Transmitter Carrier Off
(B) Transmitter Primary On
(UB) Volcano Warning
Wild Fire Watch
(UB) Wild Fire Warning
Winter Storm Watch
Winter Storm Warning
Unrecognized Watch
Unrecognized Advisory
Unrecognized Emergency
(UB) Unrecognized Warning
Unrecognized Message
10 Day Sentry

/ NOAA Weather Radio opinions... #9  
LostInTheWoods, I just realized you have a more immediate problem than weather alerts....you need a GPS that tells you:

proceed to the large forked Live Oak tree
turn left
proceed .5 miles to the sunny meadow
now that you are no longer in the Woods, where do you want to go today:laughing:

Best wishes on your quest for relevant and immediate weather information:thumbsup:

I have a First Alert WX-150 that works great.

Below is the list of alerts.

You can select the specific County or Counties you want to get alerts for.

Iceberg Warning :eek: ... In West Virginia !!

LOL...I'd put the volcano and tsunami warnings in that category, too!

WVBill,

You may have just sold me on the First Alert. Looks like it gets very good ratings on Amazon. Thanks for the informative pasting of available alerts. :thumbsup: