Seeders No-tlll drill vs other attachments for seeding

/ No-tlll drill vs other attachments for seeding #11  
Your seeds are all small. Consider a Ferguson "Yardmaker": Aerator Products $2,000

GOOD REVIEWS: 'Yardmaker" threads from T-B-N archive: Google

Last edited:
   / No-tlll drill vs other attachments for seeding #12  
I have actually been told by several local farmers to try the ag extension office. I have called once, but they said the budget didn't allow for it in my county.

I thought broadcasting had a poor success rate? This is simply scattering seed over the ground, right?

I really would rather not buy a no-till, not to mention I don't think my tractor could handle most. What would be the difference between a no-till and a simple drill be? I don't have any plows or tillers yet, either.

Thanks for advice so far!

Drills are nice to have but they are not cheap. For your use I suggested tilling and broadcasting seed and fertilizer because I felt your cost would be less these tools. I would not broadcast seed on untilled ground with the exception of annual rye.

I don't have a drill yet because of cost, I like them and have used them on a few occasions. If you look at all the pictures below and know that all of these were broadcasted with a simple spin spreader you can draw your own conclusions.

The third picture is about 8 days after planting, you can see the results after a month in the first picture (same field).

Attachments

• 20150422_183038.jpg
    20150422_183038.jpg
    607.6 KB · Views: 183
  • 20141015_120333.jpg
    20141015_120333.jpg
    712.7 KB · Views: 207
  • 20140919_180652.jpg
    20140919_180652.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 220
  • house 002.jpg
    house 002.jpg
    545.5 KB · Views: 148
  • Taylor lawn 002.jpg
    Taylor lawn 002.jpg
    563 KB · Views: 148
  • new lawn areas 001.jpg
    new lawn areas 001.jpg
    463 KB · Views: 151
   / No-tlll drill vs other attachments for seeding
This would be a simple solution for sure!

What I would be concerned with is the planting depth, do you think this would be an issue? I have read that 1/4" to 1/2" is ideal for most of the species I want to plant. Or perhaps the aerators are adjustable?

Thanks jeff

/ No-tlll drill vs other attachments for seeding #14  
IMO, for seeds like that your money would be better out into a cultipacker. Legumes, wheat, different story.

/ No-tlll drill vs other attachments for seeding #15  
This would be a simple solution for sure!

What I would be concerned with is the planting depth, do you think this would be an issue? I have read that 1/4" to 1/2" is ideal for most of the species I want to plant. Or perhaps the aerators are adjustable?

Thanks jeff

The problem with tools like the yardmaker is that only a small percentage of the seed actually falls in the holes. Most of the seed gets dropped on the ground. A drill has much better control of where the seeds are dropped.

Not saying an aerator/spiker seeder won't work but it isn't as effective as a drill or tilling and broadcasting. Tilling and broadcasting has the advantage of giving the new seedlings a better chance to grow good roots more easily. The existing weed roots and grasses are knocked back and have less of a strangle hold.

C4Ranch made the suggestion of a cultipacker, and I agree that would help too.

/ No-tlll drill vs other attachments for seeding #16  
If you can find a Jacobsen 548 seeder this would work great for you. I borrowed one from my local golf course. They use to over seed the tees in the fall with winter rye. I have 10 acres, 5 in grass and I had great results without breaking the ground up. I would like to fine one for myself.

Eddie

/ No-tlll drill vs other attachments for seeding #17  
If you can find a Jacobsen 548 seeder this would work great for you. I borrowed one from my local golf course. They use to over seed the tees in the fall with winter rye. I have 10 acres, 5 in grass and I had great results without breaking the ground up. I would like to fine one for myself.

Eddie

Do a search online, I found this one in a few seconds in PA for $650 don't know how recent the ad is though. Looks good and would be a good way to go. If it was closer to me I would check it out.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 427
   / No-tlll drill vs other attachments for seeding #18  
I am seeking advice on an attachment I could use for seeding. I would like to sow a mix consisting of clover, grasses, and some pasture vegetables (daikon, turnips, herbs, etc) on some of my 12.5 acres. Could you offer some suggestions of how I could go about this with no or minimal tillage/plowing?

IMO, for seeds like that your money would be better out into a cultipacker. Legumes, wheat, different story.

First I need to admit I have never used nor seen a Ferguson Yardmaker. However, I have considered buying one for food plot planting and follow T-B-N Yardmaker threads.

If you read the T-B-N archived threads in Post #11, actual users like this equipment. It puts moderate pressure on the seeds as it rolls over them. The cylinder can be filled with water, if desired, increasing pressure on the dropped seeds. However, no respondent in the archive threads reports filling the cylinder, although several note that option. A simple drag, such as cyclone fence or old tires, could be pulled behind the seeder.

(I own an Everything Attachments Cultipacker, so I know how helpful rolling in seed is to germination.)

I looked on eBay yesterday and there are no used Yardmakers for sale presently, but I have seen them in the past. Easy enough to set up a permanent search with e-mail notification when a Ferguson appears.

Ken Sweet, Sweet Tractors in Kentucky, is a Ferguson agent and advertiser here on TBN. I have bought refurbished equipment from Ken and been happy. The one quote he gave me on a new implement, a drop ship from the manufacturer, was good. (KEN SWEET: sweet@scrtc.com) Sweet's motto is: "We ship fast and cheap."

Ferguson probably has distributors everywhere peanuts are an important crop, as peanut implements are Ferguson's specialty. A call to the factory in Suffolk, Virginia (757) 539-3409 would supply a local dealer who could give a more refined quote than the $2,000 I posted.

Those of you that read my posts know I am dedicated to the KISS PRINCIPLE: "Keep It Simple, Stupid". This is one reason I have been considering a Ferguson rather than more complex gear. I only have five acres plus my yard to plant annually. I am sure a heavy drill would be more economical relative to seed but for five to ten acres the margin would represent small change.

Last edited:
   / No-tlll drill vs other attachments for seeding #19  
Two options - have you looked around for rental equipment. Some dealers have demo models around, and a good agg rental place will have one to rent.

Second option look in the phone book for landscape seeders - if this is a one time deal you may save. Your best advice so far is to till up and broadcast. I did this with good success using a small broadcast seeder behind my garden tractor. However after broad casting I ran my drag harrow to cover the seed and the wheel rolled it to get dirt/seed contact.

/ No-tlll drill vs other attachments for seeding
I would have to agree with most of you. A drill is probably not economically efficient.

However, I am not big into tilling. Is there a method for minimun tillage? What sort of equipment would do the least amount of soil damage? What do people use these disc attachments I see all over for?

I have not yet found a good local place to rent equipment. I am always looking.