NO STEP ??

/ NO STEP ?? #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
Kubota makes nice tractors, but some things are just downright odd.

Like most of us tractor guys, I normally get on the tractor from the left side. But not surprisingly every once in a while there's a reason to get on or off from the right. The problem is that just where most anyone would like to put their foot to get onto the tractor from that side there is this thin flimsy sheet metal hose cover wearing a decal saying, "NO STEP".....while of course the other side sports simple welded steps that have no problem protecting things like a tool box, battery, and 3pt point parts.

Design oddities like this one always mystify me. Why go to the trouble and expense of putting a useless cover on one side instead of a useful step?
rScotty

No Step_1.JPGNo Step_2.JPG

/ NO STEP ?? #3  
Just like a horse.
Otherwise, you'd spook the tractor.
-Jim

/ NO STEP ?? #4  
My tractor - right side entrance - you slip, you risk getting "knobbed".

/ NO STEP ?? #5  
My tractor - right side entrance - you slip, you risk getting "knobbed".

Hahaha ... yup, same here. :shocked: The joystick mount on mine sticks out so far from the fender that the right-side door and step are nearly useless.

/ NO STEP ?? #6  
Every time I get on our Ford tractor from the right side it "cops a feel" with the loader joystick.

/ NO STEP ?? #7  
The HST go pedal is there in addition to the loader joystick. So ya, definitely don't want to spook the tractor.

Amusingly enough my nephew has the same rule on his Pegpergo electric John Deere tractor (there aren't any Kubota electric tractors or I'd have gotten him a proper orange one instead). Same reason too. If you get on from the right you hit the go pedal...

20170514_190301.jpg

/ NO STEP ?? #8  
Design oddities like this one always mystify me. Why go to the trouble and expense of
putting a useless cover on one side instead of a useful step?

That's a bit surprising with the M59, a deluxe Kubota. The "budget" Kubotas have
smaller operator's area and right hand access is very poor. The Grand-Ls are
much better.

I need to get on both sides of my Kioti, as I am building mountain trails, and
often get penned in on the left.

/ NO STEP ?? #9  
Our L5740 and M8540 have steps on both sides fortunately. I have seen guys add steps to their tractors.

Attachments

• DSCN8970.jpg
    DSCN8970.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 154
  • 20160420_182954_resized.jpg
    20160420_182954_resized.jpg
    448.9 KB · Views: 157
   / NO STEP ?? #10  
On my tractor left side on/off other side joystick throttle to deal with,getting throttle lever caught in jacket does increase RPM's a lot. :eek: