No Power Adjust wheels?

/ No Power Adjust wheels? #1  

Cbrown9064

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 861
Noticed that the rear wheels on the 861 were not spaced the same. Figured, "no problem", will just figure out this Power Adjust feature. Wrong...

Looks to me like a previous owner made them fixed. Permanently.

Any thoughts on this? Would it be possible to make them work again? Or simply too much effort for minimal value.

Did these wheels "slip" in the original form? Wonder why someone would weld these... Also looks like they had the wrong parts bolted in the wrong places.

Chris

2013-06-01 10.17.49.jpg2013-06-01 10.18.27.jpg2013-06-01 10.19.11.jpg2013-06-01 10.18.34.jpg

/ No Power Adjust wheels? #2  
Noticed that the rear wheels on the 861 were not spaced the same. Figured, "no problem", will just figure out this Power Adjust feature. Wrong...

Any thoughts on this? Would it be possible to make them work again? Or simply too much effort for minimal value.

Did these wheels "slip" in the original form? Wonder why someone would weld these... Also looks like they had the wrong parts bolted in the wrong places.

Chris

Those are not Power Adjust wheels, They are Manual Adjust wheels.

These are Power Adjust wheels.
power-adjust-rim (Large).jpg ford_tractor_power_adjust_rear_3673big.jpg

/ No Power Adjust wheels? #3  
Last edited:
   / No Power Adjust wheels? #4  
a32938.jpga32939.jpga32940.jpga33047.jpg

those PA rims look liek they are in very good condition. I bet a half hour with a die grinder with a cutting disc fixes you right up.

I have a 950 that had the enters welded to the rim ALL THE WAY AROUND, including extra gusset metal and extra plates.. i took a winter and dismounted and then cut them loose. worked out fine. mine were also welded at the thread plates. I ground out those welds. cut out the ones around the edges. air hammered the center out. fixed it on a disc grinder.. cleaned up the thread paltes.. lubed it and put it back togehter. worked out great.

Chris

View attachment 320562View attachment 320565View attachment 320567View attachment 320566

/ No Power Adjust wheels? #5  
   / No Power Adjust wheels?
Thanks for the reply Soundguy! I think it sounds like a great winter project.

Adjusted the brakes today. Left one works great, right one kind of weak. Took it down the road and back in 5th gear and the right drum was getting warm. Backed off the shoes a bit. Am thinking I need shoes on the right side, so need to pull the rim anyway...

Why do you think someone would weld these rims? Both yours and mine? Did the rims slip, or did people just not understand them.,

/ No Power Adjust wheels? #7  
my rims were in great condition.. so were the locks.

i have no clue why someone welded mine... they should have been fine.

and when they welde dmine.. they welde dthem. layed a trip of steel in and welde dit to the rim and center 100% around. welde dhte center to the thread paltes at all points .. and then welded lil triangle gussets in 4-5 places. took me forever to cut them all out and grind smooth.

had to beat the center out of the rim with a sledge and block of wood and then an air hammer.

/ No Power Adjust wheels? #8  
If not properly installed and then rechecked every few hours for the first day or two of use these rims could slip. Properly installed and tightened they worked fine. Some one running duals would also add more load and stress and potentially cause these to slip also. Welder is a simpler fix for some people Vs tightening and then rechecking the lock bolts several times.

/ No Power Adjust wheels? #9  
the funny thing is that on mine. both rims were adjusted to different levels. weird huh.. :)