No Geese (not complaining)

/ No Geese (not complaining) #1  

Gomez

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2400
Has anyone else noticed a drop in Canadian goose population? I have a small (40x100') pond that a few geese would spend a good amount of time in, year round. Across the road is a larger (1 acre) pond that many more geese would be. It seems after the young got a couple months old, all the geese left (YEA !!). Could it be that they are returning to their migratory habits? I'm in SE PA.

/ No Geese (not complaining) #2  
Two weeks ago, I spotted 3 "gaggles" flying north, migratory style - very high and in a tight "V". This is not normal for this time of year. Migrating geese have usually passed through this neck of the woods by May at the latest.
The Canadian government has been making efforts to try and increase the number of Canada geese. It's only been the last two years that have had seasons for them here (southern Quebec). The bigger problem here is snow geese. They've actually opened spring seasons in an effort to control their numbers. Man, can they do some damage! Farmers' fields look like they've been disked after a bunch of snow geese have passed through.

18-55424-kubota.jpg

/ No Geese (not complaining) #3  
Paul,

Around here we don't worry about them heading North. It's the South part that bothers us. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

SHF

/ No Geese (not complaining) #4  
Gomez,

I'm in SE PA too - they're just flying down to live on the reservoirs here in Chester county and crap in our drinking water.

We try and send some of ours up to Bucks but they won't go!

Patrick

/ No Geese (not complaining) #5  
In good old Carrol County MD its business as usual. Generally the same patters/numbers it's been the last few years.

Steve

/ No Geese (not complaining) #6  
Gomez- Glad to hear they've flown the coop... so to speak. But if you feel yourself starting to miss them I know where you can get a family of 6 in NY. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif Better come quick though. I got the muzzle loader earlier this week and have been seasoning the barrel each night...

Dave

/ No Geese (not complaining)
Hmmm. Maybe they heard about the MTBE showing up in wells around here.