No Farmers... No Food...

/ No Farmers... No Food... #11  

Sri Lanka’s organic farming disaster, explained​

View attachment 823345

A little perspective is warranted here. The switch to "organic" farming in Sri Lanka happened because of poor governance resulting in the depletion of their foreign exchange, which meant that the country could not buy or import fertilizers and pesticides. Farmers were literally forced to change their farming practices overnight, with no training, and no time to prepare.

So, totally unplanned, no warning, and the result was chaos.

So why would anyone be at all surprised that it did not work well? Nobody should. But it is not a general case, and the lessons to be learned are, in my view, not about farming.

All the best,

Peter

/ No Farmers... No Food...
Peter you are entitled to your opinion, but it is about farming.

Did you watch the whole thing?

/ No Farmers... No Food... #13  
What if here are no bugs left. Have you noticed driving around in the summer your windshields are MUCH cleaner. Growing up I would have to wash my windshield often, big gross yellow bug splatters. That happens much less now. The bugs are disappearing, which might be even more disturbing than the farmers disappearing.
Have not seen a honey bee this year

/ No Farmers... No Food... #15  
Honey bees weren't in North America till Europeans brought them over. Just a fact I thought was interesting when I learned it.

/ No Farmers... No Food... #17  
Lot of the young generation takes farming for granted,let the shelves etc. so lack off that might open there eyes.

/ No Farmers... No Food... #19  
I think probably 2 generations are out of contact now with how to feed themselves if their groceries shut down . . . ;)
Agree. The amount of younger Americans taking up farming has got to be at an all time low. I know of just a few around here.
Might sound controversial, but I think it’s the low pay, long hours, everyone must go to college and the smart phone that destroyed farming.

/ No Farmers... No Food... #20  
Agree. The amount of younger Americans taking up farming has got to be at an all time low. I know of just a few around here.
Might sound controversial, but I think it’s the low pay, long hours, everyone must go to college and the smart phone that destroyed farming.
It is sad.