No Death but Serious Accident.

/ No Death but Serious Accident. #2  
Oh, wow. I can not image someone surviving that. No wonder on industrial and commercial plants they have log out tag out procedures where only the person locking out can remove the lock.

/ No Death but Serious Accident. #3  
from the description it sounds like it was some sort of tumbler that shreds bark not a chipper

/ No Death but Serious Accident. #4  
There should have been a lock out tag on the start switch of the machine when it was being serviced.

/ No Death but Serious Accident. #5  
There should have been a lock out tag on the start switch of the machine when it was being serviced.
Yep. You bet I'd be putting my lock on that machine and taking my key with me if I had to work on it. Yikes! However, it sounds like the guy is going to recover and has a great attitude. Hope he makes it. :thumbsup:

/ No Death but Serious Accident. #6  
from the description it sounds like it was some sort of tumbler that shreds bark not a chipper

I agree. If it had been a true wood chipper, there wouldn't have been anything left bigger that a tennis ball.

/ No Death but Serious Accident. #7  
Yeah, if OSHA took a look at that accident, they would write them up big time. It sounds like they did it all the time but a lock out tag should have been used. Its a pain to mess with that stuff all the time but................

/ No Death but Serious Accident. #8  
Yeah, if OSHA took a look at that accident, they would write them up big time. It sounds like they did it all the time but a lock out tag should have been used. Its a pain to mess with that stuff all the time but................
Man, i agree, it might be a pain, but....

/ No Death but Serious Accident. #10  
Depends on the type of debater. Some are wheel type peelers some use flail chains. It's a scary feeling, I was 21 I was an operator and mechanic on a job. My trackloader had a leak in the belly pan so I pulled my mechanic truck to it. I locked out and tagged out with a Komatsu supplied lock. I had locked the ignition and transmission control out. I was under the machine using an impact wrench and saw some boots go past the track rollers. All of a sudden I hear the engine start and the machine reversed tries to turn.

I had run my air hose through the rollers to reach the plates I was removing. When the line cut it made enough noise that the seat attendant stopped. When I got out I tried to kill the operator with a breaker bar. He was a young laborer that wanted to be an operator. He borrowed a key from the office thinking about getting on a parked machine. He was clueless that the truck with the big loud compressor running, red tags locks were in place for a reason. We had just had a safety meeting on this the day before. All I could think about was being smashed by a 20 ton loader. I got the privileged of firing the laborer for stupidity. After that if I locked something out I used my own locks and often a helper