No 12 volts to Switch Plug

/ No 12 volts to Switch Plug #1  

GTSRider

Gold Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 3000
I always seem to have the worst luck with this Craftsman 26 hp Kohler engine lawn / garden tractor. One year old battery shows 12.7 at terminals. Yesterday, started mowing with it after installing new head gasket, on a 200 hr . engine, because factory did not torque 2 of the head bolts, and they were a little past finger tight, so of course blew head gasket. Anyways , tractor ran for about 7 minutes, when it died. No power to new starter and checked power to ignition switch plug, and it shows .7 at the terminal, and again, no power to starter cable of course , but 12.7 volts at battery. All fuses are good, and wire harness looks good. So what is going on here ? Pete , Hudson Valley , N.Y.

/ No 12 volts to Switch Plug #2  
Are you satisfying all the safeties? My 26 hp Craftsman / Kohler combo has safeties in the clutch/brake, mower switch, and seat. Sometimes all are in the mood to work together, sometimes one won't cooperate. Good luck tracking that one down.

/ No 12 volts to Switch Plug #3  
Loose connection at a safety and/or loose wire. Looks like you did the same thing as the factory.

/ No 12 volts to Switch Plug #4  
As Roadworthy states, it probably a safety interlock somewhere. My old Sears rider had them on the seat, blade engage, reverse, parking brake, and deck lift (I think). And probably a few more I don't remember. The switches can be Normally Open or Normally Closed and had to be energized in the correct combination and order for anything to work. I hated that tractor. :mad:

/ No 12 volts to Switch Plug
Are you satisfying all the safeties? My 26 hp Craftsman / Kohler combo has safeties in the clutch/brake, mower switch, and seat. Sometimes all are in the mood to work together, sometimes one won't cooperate. Good luck tracking that one down.
Yes Road.... you are correct....Craftsman themselves , have an excellent, series of online videos to watch, so you know , they are highly problematic. I will check all 3 safety switches and report back.

Yes Road.... you are correct....Craftsman themselves , have an excellent, series of online videos to watch, so you know , they are highly problematic. I will check all 3 safety switches and report back.
Did some testing and unfortunately it took a turn for the worst...with a fully charged battery of nearly 13 volts there is no power to the switch, and other than the battery, there is no power anywhere....even hr. meter does not turn on... I will remove the body shell, and try to find something obvious in the wiring, otherwise it may be new harness time.

/ No 12 volts to Switch Plug #7  
Double check your grounding. At the block and any possible straps from block to frame.

Midniteoyl....still no fix but here's what I can report... battery tested good, starter solenoid tested good, switch tested good brake switch tested good, seat switch tested good, reverse switch tested good, yellow , pull/push blade switch tested good, but question is where is the blade switch safety switch ? I have read that it is in the push/pull switch itself ? Mower has 200 hrs. on it , and is a 2017 model. It has no red hot wire from the solenoid post to the switch , like the 2020 and up models have, seen in the official Craftsman trouble shooting video. Should I run a new hot wire from the positive post to the switch like the new models have ? I also picked up some 10 gauge black ground wire to run from the battery ground post to where .... the solenoid ?

May have found no run , no crank issue today....did all my tests, but today decided to do all tests again.
I feel like an idiot .... but I think it was the first area I tested.... but only visually....yes you guessed it .... main harness 40 amp fuse at battery....it tricked me visually, but when it was tested today with an OHM meter...it failed..... Heat wave here today and tomorrow in NY , and installed a new 40 amp fuse, but tractor is in pieces, and must be reassembled. Next cool weather trend , I will reassemble.... but I am 99 % sure this is problem, as Every other part tested 100 %

/ No 12 volts to Switch Plug #10  
Always the little things :)