nitrogen on corn

/ nitrogen on corn #1  

mgraham112

Gold Member
Tractor
long 2460 - belarus 250 - JD 4230 - Kioti DK40SE
Is it possible the 20-0-0 pasture fertilizer from asc to spray my field corn and sweet corn in a backpack sprayer?
if so, any tips or warnings?
other recommendations?
what if i don't add any nitrogen, due to the cost?

/ nitrogen on corn #2  
Most liquid fertilizers are knifed in to get it below ground ASAP. But if this is just a food plot, you could give it a try. Do it with the ground moist or just before a rain would be best so it is incorporated. If the liquid is too expensive or too hard to transport, you could use urea (46-0-0) granulated. Again, broadcast it just before a rain if possible so it does not volatize as quickly. If this corn is for production, it really helps the plant if it has the proper nutrients. Hopefully you did a soil test prior to planting so you know what is recommended for your fields. No sense spending good money on seed if you won't be adding fertilizer if you are hoping for a decent crop.

/ nitrogen on corn #3  
Without a soil test , I'd at least put out something like a granular 13-13-13, or 32-10-5, something like that. Your feed/fertilizer store should know what "generally" works in your area. As FF said, hard to know for sure without a $20 soil test. Corn is a nutrient hog, so it likes fertilizer and plenty of water. Indians planted it with a dead fish, so they knew it grew best with some form of added nutrients. (What I have read anyhoo)

/ nitrogen on corn #4  
What ? You do not put the N on the plant , you put in the soil .

/ nitrogen on corn
the soil test recommended 2 tons of lime per acre, but its a little late for that, so I will just do what I can and see what happens. Im definitely not trying to grow for $, just for the simple enjoyment of watching it grow and to feed my deer. I just don't know if it is worth the time and money to try and fertilize and how much of a difference it will make. I broadcast about 1/2 an acre a few years ago and did nothing to it and it produced, how much, I wouldnt know any difference between good and bad.
Soil test said I need 100/20/30 of NPK. This would cost a few hundred, not to mention how I would actually apply it as I don't have a side dresser.
Is it worth it since I need so much lime?
I want to do what I realistically can, but spending a few hundred bucks on fertilizer without knowing if I will see any sizeable gains is the question.
Seed only cost me $40 andI enjoy the tractor time discing and prepping and using the planter, so I don't factor that in the equation.
Ive planted a few acres of sunflowers every year without lime or fertilizer in the same field and they all produce along with some wheat, I just cant see getting that much more benefit out of fertilizer and the added expense.. getting off the main topic, which is corn, but still..
thoughts?

/ nitrogen on corn #6  
A little late for this idea also, but you can plant a legume with your corn and that will help a little with the nitrogen. I fertilize my plots always, yes you can see a difference and I believe deer can tell "good" food over just field corn. But it is just corn, and really not that nutritious for deer anyway, but they like it! . You might put out 200-300# on one acre and see for yourself.

BTW I hardly ever plant corn for deer, to easy to buy it for a feeder, but I do plant Oats wheat, clay/field peas and so on.

/ nitrogen on corn #7  
Seriously...fertilizer applied banded or otherwise will make a big difference for most any crop. Liming for correct ph will enhance nutrient uptake. Lime takes more time to work. You can always apply half in the fall and the rest next spring plus incoporate part of the total fertilizer before planting.

How much corn have you planted. How tall is it now? Are you cultivating rows? Why cant you just broadcast some before a good rain?

/ nitrogen on corn
I planted about an acre. It is about 12" in most places(planted when it was finally dry enough). I haven't cultivated yet. I can broadcast some 46-0-0 before the next rain and see what happens.

/ nitrogen on corn #9  
Looks like your P and K are in pretty good shape. 2 tons/acre of lime really is not much, more for maintenance of what the crop takes up. Yea, if you are just growing for animals, urea (46-0-0) or any dry fertilizer would be easier to apply than liquid. Very basically, nitrogen (N) helps the plant with photosynthesis production to grow the plant strong and tall. Phosphorus (P) helps in fruit and flower production and Potassium (K) helps getting a good root structure to stabilize the plant and help it absorb nutrients better. They do much more, but that is the very basics of the 3. Of course lime allows the soil to be more neutral so the soil nutrients are available to the plant. Too alkaline or too acid and the various nutrients stay attached to the soil particles. Again, very basic plant agronomics. Good luck with your project !!! Have fun !!

/ nitrogen on corn #10  
The 20-0-0 pasture fertilizer is not a cost effective source of N. 34-0-0 AN or urea will be alot more bang for the buck.