NH equipment transport bid...outrageous???

/ NH equipment transport bid...outrageous??? #1  

Danica

Silver Member
Tractor
CNH TC40DA & Ford 1920
Dear CNH owners, I have posted here a few times and get excellent suggestions and feedback so i am turning to you now for comments on the following bid. I called the place that appears to dominate the tractor transport business (every website seems to actually lead back to the same home page). They quoted (firmly) $3,500 to move the following from Milwaukee wi to New Paltz, NY (about 975 miles):

NH TC40DA TLB
NH 84CSR snowblower
5' rotary tiller
7' boxblade
post hole digger
5x5' pallet of miscellaneous stuff.

The price seems very high to me...almost predatorial. Please, what are your thoughts? I must move this stuff to my new home in NY state this July 18 or 19 and they want confirmation on Tuesday (eeeeks: tomorrow)!

Happy 4th of July!
Danica

/ NH equipment transport bid...outrageous??? #2  
It does seem high but then again if you figure out the time it is going to take and the cost of fuel it gets expensive quick just for the actual costs. Just the diesel fuel alone can cost up to $700 one way.

You have enough stuff coming you need a decent size trailer so that limits your options. There are lots of people on this site that know of better shipping places to deal with but you may also want to post on Viewing a forum - Machinery Talk as they have larger equipment and a lot of those guys deal with trucking companies often. They can tell you if there is a better option for you or if that is a fair price if you don't get the answers your looking for on here.

/ NH equipment transport bid...outrageous??? #3  
I had bids to move one skidsteer from md to tx of 2200. Try calling your dealer, see who they use.

/ NH equipment transport bid...outrageous???
Thank you, Robert. Yes, i did take into consideration the fuel cost and even the 15 hours of driving time at $50/hour (which is high), so that takes it up to $1500. Add maybe $1/mile for the equipment cost and you're at $2,500. I just think $3,500 is really, really high. And these guys seem to dominate the web: just type in "tractor move" or "equipment transport" and they all lead to the same place and then 98% of the people who answer the phone to give a bid are no smarter than a box of hair. Surely, there is a reputable, insured equipment transport operation other than these guys...

It does seem high but then again if you figure out the time it is going to take and the cost of fuel it gets expensive quick just for the actual costs. Just the diesel fuel alone can cost up to $700 one way.

You have enough stuff coming you need a decent size trailer so that limits your options. There are lots of people on this site that know of better shipping places to deal with but you may also want to post on Viewing a forum - Machinery Talk as they have larger equipment and a lot of those guys deal with trucking companies often. They can tell you if there is a better option for you or if that is a fair price if you don't get the answers your looking for on here.

/ NH equipment transport bid...outrageous??? #5  
Are there any used farm equiptment dealers in your area. Check with them. They know who is the cheapest transporters in the area. We call them equiptment jockeys. They pick up stuff at auctions all over. They also know how to load farm equiptment.
Bill

/ NH equipment transport bid...outrageous??? #6  
I just shipped a DX 29 with FEL from Amarillo TX to Bonners Ferry ID. This was an LTL load (Less than truckload). Weight was 3000lbs/13.5 feet long and they called it a class 125 load. My price was 1426.00 USD. That was about 1550 miles one way. Try a company called EX-Freight. They send it out for bids and in my case Con-Way was the cheapest. You should try to bundle as much as you can, i.e in other words chain the tiller to the bucket, attach the blade and put the post hole digger on that to make the load as compact as possible but still driveable. Maybe that would get your cost down. It all comes down to how much space you take up on a trailer. The less = cheaper.

/ NH equipment transport bid...outrageous??? #7  
Yeap, I had mine shipped in on a hot shot trailer rig. You might have to wait a week, but they bid on your job.Use one that is insured....

/ NH equipment transport bid...outrageous??? #8  
You've got a bunch of loose stuff to load and unload. That can be expensive to deal with if they need to get equipment in to load and unload it.

/ NH equipment transport bid...outrageous??? #9  
Dear CNH owners, I have posted here a few times and get excellent suggestions and feedback so i am turning to you now for comments on the following bid. I called the place that appears to dominate the tractor transport business (every website seems to actually lead back to the same home page). They quoted (firmly) $3,500 to move the following from Milwaukee wi to New Paltz, NY (about 975 miles):

NH TC40DA TLB
NH 84CSR snowblower
5' rotary tiller
7' boxblade
post hole digger
5x5' pallet of miscellaneous stuff.

The price seems very high to me...almost predatorial. Please, what are your thoughts? I must move this stuff to my new home in NY state this July 18 or 19 and they want confirmation on Tuesday (eeeeks: tomorrow)!

Happy 4th of July!
Danica

I think you need to shop around ad get several quotes. I hauked an NH TD95D from Southern New Mexico to Western Montana last year and the numbers I was hearing was like $3- $4 per loaded mile.But I was going to haul it any way so ididn't research the issue much. If you get somone to haul, insist on a certificate of insurance for the load.

Some of the responses suggest checking with local dalers and that's good idea. They can tell you about what it should cost and probably can recomend several haulers.

Finally, the other option, if you have a pickup truck up to the task, is to see if you can find a rental trailer and haul it yourself. You can get load insurrance pretty cheap. You'll need chainbinders to fasten it down to the trailer( see picture. I used old blankets around the chains to keep them from scratching the wheel paint.). I insured my tractor for $40K when I hauled it and I had to pay for three months of load insurance in advance but I cancelled it after I got back so it cost me about $40 net.
So there' some options for you. Good luck in moving your equipment.

Attachments

• IMG_0550.jpg
    IMG_0550.jpg
    497.9 KB · Views: 281
   / NH equipment transport bid...outrageous??? #10  
personally i think you have a real good price on hauling your equipment that far.most haulers here charge $4 a loaded mile,an your being quated a tad over $3.50 a loaded mile.