NH 8160 project

/ NH 8160 project #1  

LouNY

Super Star Member
Tractor
Branson 8050, IH 574, Oliver 1550 Diesel Utility (traded in on Branson) NH 8160. Kioti CK2620SECH
Starting this thread to try and keep kind of a record as to how this project works out for me.
She is a 1997 New Holland 8160 with 12,000 hours on the clock, almost 26 years old.
I bought it knowing it was a bit rough looking and needing some work.
The brakes don't work, hoping master cylinders fix that issue, the previous owners tried using Dot 3 brake fluid in it.
The 3 point isn't working and not sure of the PTO under a load, and dash warning for the charge pump is flashing.

But I got it for a price that I think will work out, we shall see.

First picture as delivered;
as deleivered.jpg

I did a few walk around videos of her;

I have gotten a start on working on it.
I've replaced the hydraulic suction filter and hydraulic charge pump filter.
Didn't cure the flashing alarm, new switch on order.
Replaced the brake master cylinders and tried to bleed the brakes,
got one side done and working, the other master cylinder was defective on delivery,
replacement on order.

I'll try and update this as I get things done on her.

/ NH 8160 project #2  
Nice, something to work on. Be good machine when back to 100%.

1996 was first year for the solid blue New Holland with "Ford" in block letters and NH logo in the grill. 1995 were still Ford with the Ford Oval in the grill.

/ NH 8160 project #3  
Keep us updated often. (y)

/ NH 8160 project #5  
Good Luck Lou. Will check back often.
Try to keep your finger out of your videos haha

Last edited:
   / NH 8160 project
Yep, big hands tend to cover up more then desired at times.
I don't think to take pictures often when I'm working on things.

I have got the new master cylinders installed on the brakes,
Tried bleeding them for quite awhile and was having issues,
finally figured out I had gotten a bad master cylinder, got that replaced
and started in the bleeding procedure again. Brakes on this are a bit strange in that the master cylinders have a balance
line that goes between the two master cylinders that is supposed to come into play when both brakes are used together.
Have bleed these brakes considerably (over two quarts of high priced brake oil $20 each).
They are still a bit strange; use one pedal and it goes to the floor but will skid a tire on gravel, on both sides
but they don't feel right. Use both pedals together and instant stop with a very short stroke, maybe an inch.
She will lift you out of the seat under a hard application.
I've got one thing to check and that is to make sure the pedals are returning 100% and not keeping the master cylinders partly depressed.
When I get back on her I' check that again and if needed I'll add a shim to move the masters away from the pedals as the adjustment clevis's are already turned in as short as possible.

a couple of pics of the pedals and master cylinders being installed;
master cylinders 2.jpg

master cylinders 2.jpg

/ NH 8160 project
Well still scratching my head on the brakes. I'm going to reverse bleed them and if that doesn't work then I'll plug them and see what happens.

/ NH 8160 project #8  
My master cylinders cracked on my AGCO’s.
When you apply with both pedals locked together does either tire lock up?

/ NH 8160 project
Yes, when you use both pedals together the brakes work excellent maybe an inch of travel and by bypassing the brake switches I could skid the rear tires it will lift you up off the seat.
When you press just one pedal while she is moving you can feel and see here try to pull in that direction and if you have the clutch in it will actually skid the tire for just a bit but the pedal will go all the way down.
It gets even stranger in that if you depress one pedal half way then depress the other pedal if will try and push back the first pedal,
you can actually play them almost like bicycle pedals with one pushing the other back and just keep alternating.
But any one pedal by it's self and it goes full travel with minimal braking.
It has to be something with the balance line in the system, I ordered some plugs to fit and block that off, they came in Saturday just haven't had a day when the temps are good enough to work outside.

/ NH 8160 project
Well I finally got back on the 8160 for a bit today.
Tryed reverse bleeding the brakes with no improvement, still both pedals together and excellent brakes, One pedal and it will go to the floor and another interesting observation when the single pedal is being push the brake fluid is actually flowing through the balance line and back into the reservoir for the master cylinders.
Removed the balance line, plugged the ports, bleed the brakes and each one is working fine.
Sent an email to A&I products we shall see if they respond.
Installed a new knob for the pto switch and indicator light.
New pressure switch for the low charge pressure warning, didn't fix that issue.
Checked out the parking brake switch, no dash light but the warning buzzer was working.