NH 640 Round Baler Bearings

/ NH 640 Round Baler Bearings #1  

smgriffin

Tractor
Kubota M125X, JD 5425
I have a NH 640 round baler and there is squeaking sound coming from the chain sprocket that is attached to the starter roller. I have looked at the parts diagram and there is a sealed bearing attached to the roller. My question is at what point do you replace the sealed bearings on a round baler? This baler is 15 yrs old but has only baled 200-300 bales per year. The roller and chain sprocket turn without any wobble. It just squeaks. I am not 100% sure it is the bearing squeaking. I figure replacing this bearing will be a pain.

Thanks!

Steve

/ NH 640 Round Baler Bearings #2  
Bearings generally don't squeak. Have you checked to see if the bearing is frozen up and the shaft is turning in the collar? If so, you could be replacing a bearing and a shaft. Take a horse injection needle full of JD chain lube or equivalent and inject it into the bearing and shaft. Any of the break free lubes are good to clean it out, but you need to get some permanent lube in there.

/ NH 640 Round Baler Bearings
Thanks for the reply. I got some WD-40 and started spraying various parts trying to find the squeak. It turns out that it may have been a tension spring on an idler squeaking. But I plan to buy a fire extinguisher just in case.

/ NH 640 Round Baler Bearings #4  
There is no set date or time with age that bearing begin to fail. On many things you can learn by watching that one might go bad but the rest might last longer to the point of double the life.

There is a needle that is available from dealers or your local (discount?) TSC store that will give a freash shot of grease to the bearing.

/ NH 640 Round Baler Bearings #5  
I have a NH 640 round baler and there is squeaking sound coming from the chain sprocket that is attached to the starter roller. I have looked at the parts diagram and there is a sealed bearing attached to the roller. My question is at what point do you replace the sealed bearings on a round baler? This baler is 15 yrs old but has only baled 200-300 bales per year. The roller and chain sprocket turn without any wobble. It just squeaks. I am not 100% sure it is the bearing squeaking. I figure replacing this bearing will be a pain.

Thanks!

Steve

Get some chain lube. Run the baler to warm things up --- start spraying. It sure makes a huge difference in the noise my baler makes.

D.