Newbie to haying

/ Newbie to haying
I have the same drum mower. Bought it used along with a small tedder. These replaced an old NH haybine. The drum mower and tedder have been reliable and only grease and oil as needed.

That drum mower is awesome. Very simple. But you do need a tedder.The 2 drums on the mower rotate in opposite directions so the hay is pushed into a row between the 2 drums. The tedder really helps dry the hay out faster.
That is great to hear as it appears that your tractor is very similar to mine.

/ Newbie to haying #42  
Im in NS. . Been helping my neighbor for 10 years do his hay.
This year was his last .
I bought his haybine tedder rake and bailer . All very old stuff for $2500. Included was a sickle mower and a second rake we didn't use these. Hay here is $5 a bale. Made 500 bales sold 200 so far and critters will eat the rest.
He, we, us did the maintenance showed me what to do . He ran the machines and I loaded with others help. Knock on wood no issues for 2 years Next season will be a profit year fingers crossed.
Cost me $100 on fuel a $56 for baler twine.
Around 10-12 acres 3 different field.

/ Newbie to haying #43  
Hay prices really vary and that can make or break viability.

$24 a large bale for orchard grass is what we paid for the last 50 bales...

/ Newbie to haying #44  
They are all very much one man operations that like to keep themselves to themselves. They take a call, let you know when they are coming over, come over, do their stuff to cut, disappear to the next location, come back to tend, disappear, come back to bale, disappear, come back to retrieve their bales.

It sounds like I am deluding myself, but I though that something like this would be perfect for what I need:

And now you want to go for cheap Chinese stuff. Good luck finding parts! That is about the worst bale I have ever seen! They are smaller than a 50 gal drum. Talk about unwieldy. Go square.

/ Newbie to haying #45  
Weather always the struggle... summers with lots of rain bad and more than a few hay loft fires from hay being put up before dry enough.

Other years the timing perfect and able to do extra cuttings... life of a farmer.

I lived to drive the tractor haying… I was 4 in this picture and everyday haying was a dream.

Best childhood memories and hooked on tractors ever since…

The wood hay fork in the foreground is here in Oakland but no luck bringing that tractor home…

Sickle Mower Cut, Tedder to Turn, Rake to Windrow, Collect and Transport to Hayloft…
View attachment 756237
Man I love that picture.

/ Newbie to haying #46  
Here is some thing for you to check out:
Hope you get some good insight of what to
look for:

willy

/ Newbie to haying #47  
I can't remember which US company came out with the small round balers about 50 years ago, but there was one purchased in our area. We hired the guy to do our hay one year. The bales were such a pain to handle and store that we went right back to square bales.

/ Newbie to haying #48  
That is great to hear as it appears that your tractor is very similar to mine.
Along with the drum mower and tedder, I have a 6 wheel rake, hay wagon and a NH 320 baler w/thrower. The baler was what I could get in my area for the price I wanted to pay. About $2k for the baler but it needed work. I went thru the whole thing and replaced many parts. Luckily it seemed to have been kept dry so it had no rust. Had to fix some bad repairs. But it's been rock solid since.
Don't be deterred if you really want to DIY the hay. Take your time to find all the equipment. I think it took me a couple years until I found what I wanted. But you will need to be able to make repairs if you want to spend less. With older equipment, getting replacement parts is not always easy.

/ Newbie to haying #49  
At least here in the east you can buy perfectly serviceable hay equipment for less than 10k if doing squares.

CaseIH 8420 / Hesston 530 / MF 1734 (All same baler) only need 30 PTO HP and a compact would run it. They make 39 x 52 round bale

$3500-$6000 price tags on the above machines in older used market.

Saw a mint 479 haybine 7' sell for $500.

The old haybines, square balers etc were only ever run with 30-40 PTO HP tractors.

/ Newbie to haying
Im in NS. . Been helping my neighbor for 10 years do his hay.
This year was his last .
I bought his haybine tedder rake and bailer . All very old stuff for $2500. Included was a sickle mower and a second rake we didn't use these. Hay here is $5 a bale. Made 500 bales sold 200 so far and critters will eat the rest.
He, we, us did the maintenance showed me what to do . He ran the machines and I loaded with others help. Knock on wood no issues for 2 years Next season will be a profit year fingers crossed.
Cost me $100 on fuel a $56 for baler twine.
Around 10-12 acres 3 different field.
Good to hear. Here's hoping you have good luck for the future!