Newbie to haying

/ Newbie to haying
Hay prices really vary and that can make or break viability.

$24 a large bale for orchard grass is what we paid for the last 50 bales...
As I said, we are not really looking at making a profit. If what we get from the bales will sell helps defray the costs of the maintenance, great. If not, that will be fine too.

/ Newbie to haying
And now you want to go for cheap Chinese stuff. Good luck finding parts! That is about the worst bale I have ever seen! They are smaller than a 50 gal drum. Talk about unwieldy. Go square.

To be clear, I have no idea. That's why I am seeking advice.

/ Newbie to haying
Here is some thing for you to check out:
Hope you get some good insight of what to
look for:

willy
Thank you. I will have a look over the weekend.

/ Newbie to haying
I can't remember which US company came out with the small round balers about 50 years ago, but there was one purchased in our area. We hired the guy to do our hay one year. The bales were such a pain to handle and store that we went right back to square bales.
We bought some small rounds from someone once. My wife really liked them as she could man handle them herself. I would much prefer large rounds, but our tractor isn't big enough to handle it and I don't want to have to buy a new one just to be able to use a full sized round baler.

It's looking like squares are the way to go.

/ Newbie to haying
Along with the drum mower and tedder, I have a 6 wheel rake, hay wagon and a NH 320 baler w/thrower. The baler was what I could get in my area for the price I wanted to pay. About $2k for the baler but it needed work. I went thru the whole thing and replaced many parts. Luckily it seemed to have been kept dry so it had no rust. Had to fix some bad repairs. But it's been rock solid since.
Don't be deterred if you really want to DIY the hay. Take your time to find all the equipment. I think it took me a couple years until I found what I wanted. But you will need to be able to make repairs if you want to spend less. With older equipment, getting replacement parts is not always easy.
Thanks for the encouragement.

/ Newbie to haying #56  
We bought some small rounds from someone once. My wife really liked them as she could man handle them herself. I would much prefer large rounds, but our tractor isn't big enough to handle it and I don't want to have to buy a new one just to be able to use a full sized round baler.

It's looking like squares are the way to go.
Why cant you handle round bales?
You mean your loader not strong enough?
Just put a bale spear on your 3pt hitch. It’ll lift way more than your loader, but won’t stack them very high lol

Its hard to tell who has money to “burn” from maybe a wealthy wife ;), who has some money, and who has NO money, but it sounds like you aren’t worried if it’s a money losing venture. If thats the case, then give it a try. You can always sell off the equipment if you realize you don’t like it.

I highly recommend Hesston balers. They have some very simple round balers. As far as rake or tedder goes, those little italian jobs (Tonutti, etc) work fine for light occasional use. If you do get a mower without conditioning, you WILL need a tedder. I would think your weather situation all but makes it a necessity or you might have a lot of rained on hay due to longer drying times

Last edited:
   / Newbie to haying #57  
Here is some thing for you to check out:
Hope you get some good insight of what to
look for:

willy
Google is the last source I would trust for finding which baler is best:ROFLMAO:

/ Newbie to haying #58  
Round balers my area can go cheap; good used round balers expensive, especially if you get one with net wrap. Hesston makes a 1.2m x 1.6m round baler that they advertise will work well with a 40 HP tractor. Normally I only bale straw because I have a good market for small square straw bales (-40 degree winters make a good market for straw insulation). This year I did my first hay, 550 bales off 8 acres but I borrowed my nephew's spare 4' x 6' round baler to get the next field, same size, abut 25 tightly packed rounds. But being is spare, no net wrap which cuts the value $20 or so per bale in my area. He goes 4' wide instead of 5' due to sales - truckers are over width. One thing you need to do is find what your market will be - if you make 4- x 5' rounds can you sell them okay. But that is the size for your tractor. Next size baler jumps to 70 HP minimum.