Compact tractor in action baling hay!

/ Compact tractor in action baling hay! #21  
Is there really much difference between round balers or is it like square balers where it has more to do with the windrow prep and an operator who is paying attention then what machine is being used? This pic is of a 540 Hesston I had borrowed. It took a few trips around before I understood most of the balers needs but by the end of the day (89 bales) I had a great looking bale.

Attachments

• 710409-7710 with 540.jpg
    710409-7710 with 540.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 673
   / Compact tractor in action baling hay! #22  
Baling hay is as much "art" as it is "science".... It ISN'T rocket science, but there's more to know than meets the eye. Round balers have their "learning curve" too.

I have the feeling your "question" is as much a rhetorical one as is my reply..... I sense you already have the answer to your question.

/ Compact tractor in action baling hay! #23  
I figured the same as you but I have very little experience with round balers and was curious if there is actually a difference between them. If there is a difference then what is it as CCM keeps comparing these balers to the NH baler that was there. Is the NH considered the top of the line for round balers and thus the benchmark? IF so then what makes the NH better? I still think it has more to do with the operator then the machine but this will make for a good discussion.

/ Compact tractor in action baling hay! #24  
My PERSONAL experience with owning a round baler is about 2 years, although quite a few friends have 'em.

You'de be hard-pressed to convince me there's ANY round baler better than Vermeer (as a broad generalization amongst brands)

Deere make a good one too, as well as New Holland.

New Holland is sort of the "gold standard" though because of the mere fact there are so many of them. People are familiar with them for that reason.

(By the way, mine is a Vermeer 5400 "Rebel")

Hay condition, windrow size, operator ability/experience, and good ol' weather play into the "quality" of a bale produced by any round baler from all I've seen. (But I don't think the learning curve is as steep with a round baler. That may or may not be a fair assessment though, as I've had YEARS of square baler time, and that experience may well have made the transition easier. About the only way to know for sure would be to teach a relative "new-comer" to hay "how to bale" with both kinds.)

I sell ALL of my hay and straw. I still sell 60% of hay, and 100% straw in small squares. (DANG-IT)

/ Compact tractor in action baling hay!
<font color="blue"> CCM keeps comparing these balers to the NH baler </font>
The comparing was done only with the NH because of the Vermeer was on one side and the Hesston 730 was on the other side. The logistics of taking a picture where all the bales were straight in front of me was not possible. This is a photo from the side taken quickly just before 100+ people moved in to inspect the bales. The demonstration was still in progress but as you see the farmers jumped the inspection gun.
Round%20Baling%20054.jpg

/ Compact tractor in action baling hay! #26  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The MF1552 has 41 PTO HP )</font>

Yikes.. that MF looses 11 hp from engine to pto?!? What? is there a belt coupling in the middle? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Soundguy

/ Compact tractor in action baling hay! #27  
Yeah I noticed that just before I lost my connection. Oh well. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif