Newbie question

/ Newbie question #32  
Using a tree clipper.
I think you would be better off using a chain saw and buying a grapple to move the felled trees. I seriously doubt a 50 hp tractor will have enough flow and pressure on a tractor to take down anything more than just saplings. The ones I've seen are designed for a skid steer which is heavier and has considerably more hydraulic flow than a tractor. For the small stuff perhaps an offset flail with the heavy duty hammers for the saplings

/ Newbie question
I doubt you'll find this a good match for most tractors regardless of brand. CTL, yes, though still with caveats.
Even the mini clip? I’ve seen a small tractor using that.

/ Newbie question
I think you would be better off using a chain saw and buying a grapple to move the felled trees. I seriously doubt a 50 hp tractor will have enough flow and pressure on a tractor to take down anything more than just saplings. The ones I've seen are designed for a skid steer which is heavier and has considerably more hydraulic flow than a tractor. For the small stuff perhaps an offset flail with the heavy duty hammers for the saplings
Well then I’ll need a skid steer too. I’ve been looking at a couple. I’ll have to use a chainsaw for bigger softwoods that aren’t valuable to the properties, but if I can get something that will cut 12 inch trees or smaller that will save me a ton of time.

/ Newbie question #35  
Hi,

im going to be buying my first tractor and the tractor I was looking at has a 12x12 shuttle shift. I’m wondering how similar this transmission is to a semi truck 10 or 13 speed? Can I “float”? If I’m going from low range to medium do I go to medium range while in 4th and then when I shift I’ll go to 5th gear by shifting back to 1? Can I go from mid range forward straight to mid range reverse? Will it hurt the transmission if I start in 5th on level ground? How difficult would a 75 hp tractor be for someone who has tractor trailer experience?

Thank you!
I read through the responses and did not see this mentioned, which was something I did not understand at first. If you want to be in 4th gear, you do not start in first and shift your way to 4th like a road vehicle. Instead you chose 4th gear from a stop, chose forward or reverse with the shuttle shift, and then simply release the clutch. Even more strange you can do this at any rpm selected.
Today clearing snow I selected fourth at 2400rpm - the tires did spin a bit before I got up to speed but it was all good.

/ Newbie question #36  
Even more strange you can do this at any rpm selected.
Today clearing snow I selected fourth at 2400rpm - the tires did spin a bit before I got up to speed but it was all good.
I throttle down between shifts or forward/reversing using the foot throttle vs leaving at at a higher rpm.
Smoother and easier on the clutch IMO.

/ Newbie question #37  
Clearing and moving trees from encroachment is an ongoing chore on our hillside farm. The HST transmission works best. For loader work, clearing with bush hog and transporting debris to the gully digester. Having to thread grapples of debris thru wooded driveway. I’ve used shuttle gear transmissions before and are OK and are preferred for more open work like haying and pasture clippings. For tight work prefer the HST. Bushhog clearing, Stump grinders, brown tree cutters, grapples, Danuser Intimdator all can benefit with HST control.

Digging stumps with tractor based machines takes considerable time and mess. Better to use the trees’ stem to lever the rootball out and then cut.

For clearing hiring someone with experience and the right equipment makes it look easy and usually the best financial investment. Maintaining and finish work might be a better return for your investment and learning curve.