Newb questions re: MT345E

/ Newb questions re: MT345E #1  

Saratogabeachbum

Tractor
LS MT345E
Hello all,

This is my first post after lurking for weeks. Tons of great info coming from knowledgeable operators!

I just bought a 10 acre property on Whidbey Island, Washington. The property is divided into four acres of homestead, and six acres of designated timber land that was just logged. The loggers left about two dozen 10ft piles of slash, tons of stumps, and a wasteland of wood trash. I campaigned hard for the wife to let me buy a tractor for clean up and property maintenance, and she finally gave in (although with a price cap of $30k, including implements). I will be financing the tractor.

A local dealer has a LS MT345E (synchro shuttle trans) on his lot that he will sell for $22k. That is a lot more tractor than the compact 25hp stuff I’ve been looking at (Kubota l2501; NH work master 25; Kioti ck10 series). I know I could use the extra weight and power for moving all that slash around and improving the logged area. Also have some grading and leveling projects, brush cutting, etc.

The problem is that I can’t find much info about the MT3 series. From you all, I’ve learned that LS is a reputable brand, and I like this dealer so far. Just wish I knew a little more about these models and any known issues. Would hate to have big problems after the warranty runs out in 6 years.

Also: I’m gathering that the HST would be a better choice for the work I’ll be doing, especially for a first-time owner. In general, I love and prefer a manual trans on any vehicle, and if I were to insist on finding this tractor with hst, I probably couldn’t afford it. So the manual trans does not scare me away, but I’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts.

Appreciate any opinions or advice! I know that any tractor will find it’s limits trying to pull those Douglas fir stumps, and I’ve considered getting a slightly smaller tractor and just paying someone to come out and clean up the slash pile area. Thanks in advance...

/ Newb questions re: MT345E #2  
Oh boy! Thats a ton of work, and you probably going to get a ton of responses!

I'm in a similar situation, where we logged our property. Huge slash piles, wood debris everywhere, and stumps... the endless stumps.

But first, the MT3 series. The MT3 is a replacement/next model for the XR series, which is the tractor I have. You certainly wont regret the extra weight and power. They are solid tractors that have done everything I have asked. The MT3 has a few feature upgrades that I certainly wouldn't mind on my tractor. I have often considered trading mine in, but haven't pulled the trigger. The wife would probably kill me as well.

If your used to a manual transmission, you be just fine on a synchro. I am just as fast shifting between forward and reverse on my tractor as someone on a hst. I have less filters (less money), and more power. But it really is personal preference. HST tractors are easier to drive, especially for "NEWB's" ;)

For me, removing the stumps have been the hardest part. The slash is easy enough to clean up and burn. Unless you cant? Then you'll have to chip it. That would suck. For the stumps, I'd either rent a stump grinder for a few weeks, or rent a large (like a Cat 345) excavator with a thumb. OR buy a backhoe and do it slowly. I am doing the later. It sucks. Each large stump will take me well over an hour to remove with my rather large backhoe. I am looking at getting a ripper tooth this year, so hopefully I can chop that time down.

Alternatively, you can hire someone to remove the stumps. I shopped around and the only ones in my area that would have accepted the job quoted me $35K to remove them. I think they really didnt want the job.

$22K for that MT345 is a pretty awesome price. I'd jump. But I'm not you. :)

/ Newb questions re: MT345E #3  
The HST really shines if you're changing direction a lot. I also like it for mowing as i can set the tractor to PTO RPM then adjust forward motion with the HST. I went with the Kubota L2501, not so much for price, as to avoid the computer and the diesel particulate filter of the tractors over 25 horsepower. To me a tractor should be simple and computers on tractors are to be avoided.

/ Newb questions re: MT345E
Thanks a ton for the replies. Great to hear your feedback with a similar situation, Avenger. I am lucky that I can burn these slash piles in Island county. Sorry, neighbors. Sounds like I will need to think about how to tackle these stumps though...

Roadworthy- nice Bonneville! I do like the L2501 and it might be great for what I need. But, of all the dealers I’ve spoken with, I liked the Kubota rep the least. The dealer that sells kioti and LS seems great, and the dealer that sells New Holland and Yanmar can deliver to me on Whidbey.

I still can’t decide if I really need a backhoe with my purchase, but that’s another topic.

/ Newb questions re: MT345E #5  
Where is the LS dealers located on Whidbey Island? What is the business name?

There is an itinerant tractor mechanic that travels Whidbey and is well thought of.

The mechanic maintains my cousin's fifty year old Ferguson tractor in Coupeville.

LS WEB SITE: MT345E-45HP

Last edited:
Where is the LS dealers located on Whidbey Island? What is the business name?

There is an itinerant tractor mechanic that travels Whidbey and is well thought of.

The mechanic maintains my cousin's fifty year old Ferguson tractor in Coupeville.

LS WEB SITE: MT345E-45HP
Thanks for the link, when I tried it previously from their site I got an error message.(?)

The LS dealer is town and country tractor in Monroe. Not quite “local,” as they can only deliver up to the ferry terminal, then I would have to pay a few hundred bucks for travel after that. Not a huge deal, but would become expensive if it had to go back to the dealer much. The advantage of the other dealer, Brim in Mount Vernon, is that they will deliver to the property. Brim sells NH and Yanmar.
Great to hear about a local mechanic on Whidbey!

Well, I visited the LS dealer today and checked out the goods. Turns out they have a MT 350E HST for only $3k more than the 345E shuttle shift model I was looking at. I really can't think of a reason I need the bigger 3 series over the MT240 they also have... but i've heard many times that "you'll never wish you had a smaller tractor." Is that true?? In the short term, I need to clear out about six acres of slash piles and debris, then grading and leveling all over the property. After that, I will just need a hobby farm tractor for 10 acres.

The MT350 is about $25k, which seems like a great deal. There is nothing else in that size that even comes close to that price. In contrast, the smaller Kioti CK4010 or the MT240 are about $21k. Just feels like you get a lot more machine with the LS 3 series. What are the downsides? Tearing up the lawn? Can't fit it into the garage?

/ Newb questions re: MT345E #8  
Well, I visited the LS dealer today and checked out the goods. Turns out they have a MT 350E HST for only $3k more than the 345E shuttle shift model I was looking at. I really can't think of a reason I need the bigger 3 series over the MT240 they also have... but i've heard many times that "you'll never wish you had a smaller tractor." Is that true?? In the short term, I need to clear out about six acres of slash piles and debris, then grading and leveling all over the property. After that, I will just need a hobby farm tractor for 10 acres.

The MT350 is about $25k, which seems like a great deal. There is nothing else in that size that even comes close to that price. In contrast, the smaller Kioti CK4010 or the MT240 are about $21k. Just feels like you get a lot more machine with the LS 3 series. What are the downsides? Tearing up the lawn? Can't fit it into the garage?

To answer the "you'll never wish you had a smaller tractor" question: It depends. Depends on what you're doing. If your cleaning out horse stalls, then a smaller tractor would be more practical and useful. Depending on the size. If you are working in tight areas, a smaller tractor is key. However, typically, a larger tractor is more desirable for doing larger tasks. Back on home the farm, we had some large tractors that pulled very large pieces of equipment though the field. Thats what they were designed for. We had smaller tractors for smaller tasks, like cleaning out the barn, running the PTO on grain augers, moving things around the yard, etc.

A more reasonable example of having a larger tractor over a smaller one: a neighbor borrows a small utility tractor every summer from his parents. He was attempting to move some rather large logs over the weekend with his FEL and a chain. I drove by and saw him struggling. I got home, jumped in my tractor (which is about double the size and strength) and went over to lend a hand. My tractor had no issues lifting the logs and putting them where they were needed. He was grateful for the help. A bigger tractor in this situation is key.

There are some downsides to owning a larger tractor though. Tearing up the lawn really isn't one of them. Granted, I stay off the lawn as much as I can. But I do drive on the lawn as needed. I dont leave ruts, I dont (try to) spin the tires, etc. Your mileage may vary. However, one negative is the physical size, for storage. My tractor wont fit in the garage, not that I have space for it. But for working on it, it would be nice. I simply park outside the garage and work on it on the concrete pad in front of the garage. When (if) I ever get a real shop, I'd probably store it in there.

Another down side to going larger is the price of maintenance. More oil, larger filters, more expensive parts (depending on the part). Its not much, depending on how much bigger you actually end up going. But it does add up. It will use more fuel, but have a larger fuel tank. More hydraulic oil, but will have larger cylinders = more functionality. Its all relative.

For what I do, I got the right size. But if I ever upgrade, I'm going bigger, not smaller.

/ Newb questions re: MT345E #9  
I might go the MT240 route (which I have) and with the savings, call in a forestry mulcher person to clean everything up in a couple days and be done with it, then just on to maintaining with the MT2. We recently had a bunch of forestry mulching done here, not cheap, but quick and maintainable right away.

Thanks for the guidance. I did look into forestry mulching but the service I looked at was $10k per acre. Ouch.

A dirt-mover friend of mine says he could remove most of the stumps in one weekend if I rent a 60,000 lb. excavator. He hasn’t actually seen the amount of stumps..

After walking around on the acreage for the last few days, I think the heavier tractor is going to be worth the extra expense. Lots of hilly and uneven terrain, a few dozen large trees scattered around to be collected, plus the mountains of slash and logs for the grapple. So- I’m putting in an order on the MT350HE. I haven’t financed a new vehicle in 15 years and wasn’t ever planning to, but I gotta have that blue thing o_O