New Yard Hydrant

/ New Yard Hydrant #1  

Dennisfly

Gold Member
Lake Anna, Virginia and Alleghany County, VA
Tractor
John Deere 4410
I want to install a new yard hydrant about 100 yards west of my house. Presently, my well with submerged pump is about 30 yards west of my house and runs to the house where the pressure tank, pressure and sensing switch are located. I have two hose bibs at the house and they take water after it has run through the filter and conditioner.

My question: Can I tap into the line that runs from the well to the house or do I have to go all the way back to the house and tap into the line after the pressure tank and switch, a much longer run>?

/ New Yard Hydrant #2  
I have a frost free hydrant inside a barn 100 yards from the house. There is a another frost free hydrant and Nelson waterer tapped into the same line between the house and the barn. The hydrants and frost free hydrants don't care where my well pump is.

/ New Yard Hydrant #4  
When you tap into the well line, I recommend installing street valves so you can isolate the house and/or the new hydrant as necessary. That way if the new line gets a stone bruise and starts leaking, you can shut it off without digging anything up.

/ New Yard Hydrant #5  
You can tap at the well. However, it won’t be isolated from the house line- meaning if something happens to the line or frost free you won’t have water to the house or anything else.
But don’t try to isolate the two by adding a valve between the house and well......that would be a well and pump disaster!
I would dig up next to the well and verify pipe type and size. If it’s PVC the tap is fairly straight forward. if it’s HDPE I’d try to get push on o ring style fittings over the barbed fitting with hose clamps. This is assuming you aren’t going to socket or butt fuse.

/ New Yard Hydrant #6  
We have a separate line running from the house to the barn that has the two frost free hydrants and the Nelson waterer. We can shut this barn line off in our basement. Although we don't have a lot of problems with the barn line, outside hydrants and waterers require more maintenance than the house lines. Being able to isolate the barn water line from the house water allows more time to for maintenance to the barn line. In other words I don't have to stay up all night because the house water had to be shut off to fix a barn water problem.

/ New Yard Hydrant
Wow! Quick replies. Thanks guys. As I remember, the line is black semi-flexible plastic. I don't know if that is PVC or HDPE. I do like the idea of putting a valve in the new line just down stream of where it intersects the line to the house so I could isolate the new line. Rneumann is this what you are saying would be a disaster?

/ New Yard Hydrant #8  
Is there a check valve in the line coming from the well going in to the pressure tank ? If there is, then the check valve would need moved from the pressure tank and put in the line before the splice where your going to tee in for the hydrant.

/ New Yard Hydrant #9  
Wow! Quick replies. Thanks guys. As I remember, the line is black semi-flexible plastic. I don't know if that is PVC or HDPE. I do like the idea of putting a valve in the new line just down stream of where it intersects the line to the house so I could isolate the new line. Rneumann is this what you are saying would be a disaster?

If you put a valve between the pump and pressure switch the pump will come on and not stop pumping. It will likely blow the pump off the down pipe!

Black is typically HDPE. It’s not PVC.

You can put a valve between the yard hydrant and the well. How deep is your water line? You can pull the top off the well and see where the pitless is. It will be 12” or below frost depth- whichever is more. That will dictate what’s type of valve you can put in.