Buying Advice New vs modifications.. for the money

/ New vs modifications.. for the money #1  

felixedo

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland TC35D / Deere 1026R / Bobcat CT2040
To account for any possible prejudices, I am posting this in both the New Holland and Mahindra forums.
I currently have a New Holland TC35D. 2002 with under 200 hours. It痴 been a great tractor. My one regret is that I don稚 have a loader. It is probably worth around $12000 as is.
To put a loader on the tractor will be $6000. From what I can tell, I will have a unit worth about $16000 when all is said and done.
I can buy a new Mahindra for $19000, spec壇 out about the same. Of course, with a warranty, etc.
The New Holland is in good shape, except for the spliced wires that the mice seem to find quite tasty. The reason I only compare to Mahindra is due to the price for a new machine. Other comparables are way too much money.
For right now, I知 thinking I would have more machine with the New Holland plus about $1000 more in my pocket. But in five years I would have a 15 year old New Holland vs a 5 year old Mahindra.
If it was your money, what would you do?
Thanks

/ New vs modifications.. for the money #2  
woah. Do some more checking around for better numbers. No loader should cost $6000. There are also several companies (NH included) that sell new 30-35Hp tractors with loaders well under 19k.

/ New vs modifications.. for the money
Nothing would make me happier than to be proven wrong. 3 aftermarket quotes for loaders between $5700 & $5900. I should say that I want 4WD & HST. Other than that, I'm open to suggestions.

/ New vs modifications.. for the money #4  
So if you traded the New Holland in on the Mahindra, would you get the $12000 you have allowed for the worth of the New Holland? Factor that in to your equation. Does the New Holland not have HST? If not, then you have something not as desirable as what you want. You already don't have a loader. If everyone that sold their equipment for more than they paid for it, half the parties would not be getting a very good deal, unless it was a very unusual piece. Sometimes it is better to just get what you need and use it.

Regardless of how the math comes out, I know I'm not going to come out $$ ahead. My current tractor has HST. Both are spec'd pretty much the same. For the sake of discussion, if I'm out an extra $2000 getting the newer tractor, am I better off with the newer tractor, or just out the $2000. Is the older tractor worth putting the money into by installing the FEL, even though it makes no financial sense?
Thanks

/ New vs modifications.. for the money #6  
Felix, you have an almost 10 yr old tractor with 200 hours? That's about 20 hours per year. Do you use it only on weekends to pull parade floats?;) Wow! That is low usage. Based on hours, you've only done one engine oil change and no hydraulic fluid change in 10 years.:confused2: I'm not mocking you; just shocked.:confused:

No matter how you look at it, if you go out and buy a brand new loader to put on that tractor, as soon as it is installed, it will drop in value like a rock because it's on a 10 yr old tractor. The value of the loader will follow the age of the tractor rather than the other way around. I would suggest you try to do an outright sale of your tractor. I don't think you'll get $12k for it, because it was probably under $14k when new. Remember, your tractor has no warranty whatsoever. That warranty is worth $3k in my opinion.
You might start at $12k and then negotiate. With your tractor sold, you'll have the full value in cash. If you trade it in, the dealer won't give you full value. He has to make money on the new tractor and also make money on the used tractor. He will offer you wholesale for your tractor and sell you one at retail. If you sell your tractor outright, you'll get nearly retail for it and be able to be in a better position to negotiate on a new tractor or perhaps a low-hour used tractor with a loader installed.

If you love your tractor and think you will be happy with it for a long time, make your best deal on a loader and go that way. However, if you want a new tractor and warranty, then be ready to spend more.

Jinman-
You are very observant. I bought the tractor in 2004 from a guy who thought he would use it more, but didn't. I use it to cut brush on my property about 2 -3 times/year, right now. The 8 - 10 year life goal is to move there and be on the machine every day of the week!. Maybe I should have included that in the original post. "which tractor will be easier on the 60 year old butt?" Just part of my life time project.

In general, I am thinking exactly the way you are. Whatever issues I currently have with the NH, are known and minor. I'm leaning toward keeping the blue one.
Thanks for your input.