New Tractor Sales Are Declining

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / New Tractor Sales Are Declining #1,461  
It's not just that, but certain degrees are required before you can even take the bar exam. Abraham Lincoln wouldn't be admitted to practice law today.

My grandfather graduated from the same trade school I did in 1920s as a mechanical engineer after a couple of years. I spat out with an Associates in Automotive Technology (mechanic) after two years. Now that same trade school is a college and engineering has long been a four-year degree and you've better go off and get your PE once you have experience, Meanwhile that same trade school was considered so lowly, that I had to fight and write a letter campaign to Congressmen so it could take my GI Bill back in the day.

If I had kids, I'd send them off to sparky and HVAC school, then get them to get a two-year business associates degree so they know how to run a business, then I'd urge them to replicate their skillsets by hiring kids out of school and buying more trucks for them to run around in.

/ New Tractor Sales Are Declining #1,462  
I have interviewed many people over the years that had decades of experience in their field and didn't know anything. There are MANY in the work force that have done nothing with themselves. They coasted on the coat tails of their degree, experience, resume and the reputation of the company they work for hoping that the next boss they interview with will not be prudent enough to ask the right questions.

Unfortunately, what I have been seeing is many of these people get very skilled at B.Sing their way into jobs instead of developing the necessary skills to do the job. This makes the job of people like myself that much more difficult and time consuming because a lot of the interview is conducted in a way to screen for deception and fraud.
You must work with Dilbert then?

/ New Tractor Sales Are Declining #1,464  
Problem with that is, most people won’t hire you without a legit degree. We’ve been conditioned to believe that degrees, especially ivy league degrees, are a guarantee of intelligence.

Problem with that is, most people won’t hire you without a legit degree. We’ve been conditioned to believe that degrees, especially ivy league degrees, are a guarantee of intelligence.

We have been told you need a degree to get a good job but a good hiring manager will put priority on experience and proven performance over a degree if they want to be successful.

/ New Tractor Sales Are Declining #1,465  
We have been told you need a degree to get a good job but a good hiring manager will put priority on experience and proven performance over a degree if they want to be successful.
There’s also a cost element. Hiring an experienced employee might cost you 100K, while a college grad might be 1/2 that. I know I paid experienced guys a lot more than someone I’d have to train, but at least they’d learn to do things the way I wanted them done.

/ New Tractor Sales Are Declining #1,466  
There’s also a cost element. Hiring an experienced employee might cost you 100K, while a college grad might be 1/2 that. I know I paid experienced guys a lot more than someone I’d have to train, but at least they’d learn to do things the way I wanted them done.
If you hire someone without a degree but has the experience and proven performance then they should hire in at a higher compensation compared to the person with a degree without experience. People that stay at the company and move up the ranks based on performance with or without a degree can be very valuable to the company.

/ New Tractor Sales Are Declining #1,467  
If you hire someone without a degree but has the experience and proven performance then they should hire in at a higher compensation compared to the person with a degree without experience. People that stay at the company and move up the ranks based on performance with or without a degree can be very valuable to the company.

Experience can save you a lot of money. Mistake can be expensive.
When my Dad started as an engineer in 1950 right out of college he was trained for 2 years in the workings of the refinery. He wasn't just thrown to the wolves. The company invested in him and he retire with a pension after 34 yrs. Too bad that business model went away years ago.
So now companies get turnover because younger people know how to play the game. Work a few years and then find another job that pays more and keep doing that every few years.

/ New Tractor Sales Are Declining #1,468  
Well back to tractor sales :) lol , I went to a local (30 mins away) kubota dealer to see what they had in the way of UTV/Side by Side. They had one really nice diesel on the lot but i noticed they had 20 bx23s with bucket and hoe all lined up with a lot of other equipment there too. I wasn't able to get a price as I was just looking and the salesman was busy with a client who was buying I didn't want to rush his sale.
I then went to a huge dealer of powersports and looked at the polaris they had in stock. their showroom was filled. So now its a waiting game.....

/ New Tractor Sales Are Declining #1,469  
I have seen the same thing. To me, that says that our educational system has really failed their students, and the parents failed their children. Neither taught them what they were going to need.

I used to be able to expect that anyone looking for work had basic work and educational skills. More education or experience meant they had more skills. That isn't the case any longer, and experience wins out. It shouldn't be so uneven.

/ New Tractor Sales Are Declining #1,470  
Well back to tractor sales :) lol , I went to a local (30 mins away) kubota dealer to see what they had in the way of UTV/Side by Side. They had one really nice diesel on the lot but i noticed they had 20 bx23s with bucket and hoe all lined up with a lot of other equipment there too. I wasn't able to get a price as I was just looking and the salesman was busy with a client who was buying I didn't want to rush his sale.
I then went to a huge dealer of powersports and looked at the polaris they had in stock. their showroom was filled. So now its a waiting game.....
Waiting for what?

Status
Not open for further replies.