New to TIG, trying to weld aluminum with no success

/ New to TIG, trying to weld aluminum with no success #21  
It would be worth the trip for The OP to bring the part and a welding helmet. He could learn more in 10 minutes with someone that already knows how to do it, than after spending hours reading about it.
yes welding helmet is necessary during the welding procedure, so don't take the risk and wear the welding safety gears.

Last edited:
   / New to TIG, trying to weld aluminum with no success #22  
   / New to TIG, trying to weld aluminum with no success #23  
Using a DC welder is way too difficult with any gas, if the wrong polarity is used it will ball the tungsten and melt down. If you are on a close budget, try to find an old AC welder like a Lincoln 200 or 250. An air cooled TIG torch can be connected but it will be a scratch start. Use 100% Argon, helium costs too much today. It is not used much in the Industry today. Sometimes I will use an Argon, Helium mix depending on what I am working on and 100% tungsten to learn since this is old school.
Aluminum needs to be clean and warm. Wash with acetone only. Other solvents are oil base and will leave a residue. Use a soft bristled stainless steel brush to clean the weld area and wash. Warm with a propane torch til no more moisture occurs. Try making a puddle and practice manipulating the torch for a while before adding wire. Any aluminum can be welded, even cast. Check out TIG Time on YouTube, this guy knows his stuff. Good luck. Doof

/ New to TIG, trying to weld aluminum with no success #24  
Using a DC welder is way too difficult with any gas, if the wrong polarity is used it will ball the tungsten and melt down. If you are on a close budget, try to find an old AC welder like a Lincoln 200 or 250. An air cooled TIG torch can be connected but it will be a scratch start. Use 100% Argon, helium costs too much today. It is not used much in the Industry today. Sometimes I will use an Argon, Helium mix depending on what I am working on and 100% tungsten to learn since this is old school.
Aluminum needs to be clean and warm. Wash with acetone only. Other solvents are oil base and will leave a residue. Use a soft bristled stainless steel brush to clean the weld area and wash. Warm with a propane torch til no more moisture occurs. Try making a puddle and practice manipulating the torch for a while before adding wire. Any aluminum can be welded, even cast. Check out TIG Time on YouTube, this guy knows his stuff. Good luck. Doof
It's True!

/ New to TIG, trying to weld aluminum with no success #25  
Reading along and not commenting I see your initial prep was bogus. YOU NEVER CLEAN ALUMINUM WITH A STEEL WIRE BRUSH priir to welding, always a stainless bristle brush. You were screwed right from the get go.

/ New to TIG, trying to weld aluminum with no success #26  
I haven't welded Aluminum for over forty years, but as stated above preparation is the key to good results.
We used to bring the Aluminum we were going to weld inside at least 48 hours before welding. Store it in a vertical rack that had infrared heat to get rid of any condensation on it. At 24 hours we would then clean the stock with a stainless brush and then place it in a warmer.
Next day we would set the warm aluminum in a jig and weld it to a new electrode.
It was in an Industrial setting and we had a welding engineer that was in charge of the quality control and training, the Engineers biggest speel was prep, prep and more prep.
The stock was 2" thick and 4" in width, and was used to carry electrical current.
We used a push pull wire feed setup with Argon. Brings back a lot of good memories.

/ New to TIG, trying to weld aluminum with no success #27  
Your experience and expertise in welding aluminum are invaluable and can certainly benefit many welders who are seeking to improve their skills. As you have emphasized, preparation is key to achieving good results, and your meticulous approach to preparing aluminum for welding demonstrates this.

It is impressive to hear about the steps you took to ensure the aluminum was free of condensation and properly warmed before welding. This level of attention to detail is essential in industrial settings where quality control and training are critical to ensure high-quality welds.

Your use of a push-pull wire feed setup with Argon also highlights the advancements in welding technology over the years. These tools and techniques are now more widely available and can help welders achieve better results and if you want any kind og guidance you can try tigweldersreviews for it too.

Thank you for sharing your memories and expertise on this topic. It is a great reminder of the importance of preparation and attention to detail in achieving successful aluminum welds.

/ New to TIG, trying to weld aluminum with no success #29  
I will say I've never seen an Everlast trade in at my local Airgas dealer. I'd say they are tit for tat on that score.

/ New to TIG, trying to weld aluminum with no success #30  
This is an old thread, but I sure hope the OP got someone else to build the ladder. :ROFLMAO: