Grading New to me Kubota M59

/ New to me Kubota M59
Failure. I worked the tractor for about ten minutes. Not even. Chains loosened and walked. Appears the nuts loosened right up. The chains will need re-adjusting, then re-tightening and I guess I will add lock nuts. Ugh! But I have long lost company home for the holidays so I am not spending the time working on tractor chains. Time to have fun and relax. We took the four wheelers for a ride through the woods. A chilly ride, but fun!

Last edited:
   / New to me Kubota M59
I lifted the front of the tractor off the ground today and blocked it up. Readjusted the chains and tightened them to a really nice fit. Installing lock washers and lock nuts so that those nuts couldn’t loosen.

I went to work with the M59. The chains stayed tight. And the one on the left tire still walked inward. I couldn’t get them any tighter.

Frustrating and keeping me from getting much done with the tractor. So I blocked it back up and took the chains right off. Then went and got some work done with the tractor.

I went with the chains for the front tires because they were cheaper. $496 for the fronts. Ouch

But the same chains for the rear tires were almost $1,000. And I would of had to buy the spacers for the rears at about $490. I guess I should have went with the rears.

/ New to me Kubota M59 #113  
That number sounds familiar. I think $500 is about what we paid to build the front chains for our M59. They still hang on the fence under the eve of the barn. Those chains seem to have taken up residence there and are getting old and weathered. I remember when they were all bright and shiny and new....

I think I tried them on once to see if they fit, and still haven't ever used them for wintertime work. It wouldn't surprise me if getting them right was a similar job to what you are going through. So far we've been lucky that the M59 hasn't needed winter chains. I'm guessing that is partly due to the climate change, and partly that the M59 is more capable than I thought it would be when working in a foot or so of snow and ice.

Our previous 3 tractors all ran chains, two of them front and back both. From what I remember, they were always stretching and wearing. Keeping them tight was a constant process.
rScotty

/ New to me Kubota M59
I tried it two more times and could not keep the chains on the left front tire. Then I did something I usually don’t do. I quit. I’ve had enough with chains on front, R-4 industrial tires.

A while back I contacted the company and told them about my troubles and asked them if they would take them back. He said he would contact the manufacturer and ask them about it. Yesterday he contacted me and told me they would take them back as long as I cleaned them up. Even sent me a couple of Fed Ex shipping labels to return them in two different boxes. I told him I appreciate it very much. They are cleaned up, dried, and boxed up. And get picked up Monday.

I’m very impressed with Midwest Traction’s return policy. Very nice company. Thank you very much.

/ New to me Kubota M59 #115  
I tried it two more times and could not keep the chains on the left front tire. Then I did something I usually don稚 do. I quit. I致e had enough with chains on front, R-4 industrial tires.

A while back I contacted the company and told them about my troubles and asked them if they would take them back. He said he would contact the manufacturer and ask them about it. Yesterday he contacted me and told me they would take them back as long as I cleaned them up. Even sent me a couple of Fed Ex shipping labels to return them in two different boxes. I told him I appreciate it very much. They are cleaned up, dried, and boxed up. And get picked up Monday.

I知 very impressed with Midwest Traction痴 return policy. Very nice company. Thank you very much.

Can you exchange them for a set with smaller section chains, those were monsters?
These are light duty, I go thru 2-3 a winter.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013HDRW98/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
These are better, but only when on sale.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0091RCIR6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
You will need chains for a 29" tire. Above are are for a 27" Tire

Attachments

• 20181118_164959 (1280x960).jpg
    20181118_164959 (1280x960).jpg
    781.3 KB · Views: 65
   / New to me Kubota M59
Last edited:
   / New to me Kubota M59 #119  
Nice. Just do not confuse them for grease zerks next summer :laughing:

I installed studs on fronts of my little Mahindra. Should have gotten chains. Minimal improvement. Need for steering, not traction as I have chains on rear.