New to me Kubota KRM48 - Any tips?

/ New to me Kubota KRM48 - Any tips? #1  

Ehanson

Silver Member
Tractor
S373-D
Hi , I went to a garage sale this morning and ended up bringing home this Kubota KRM48. It has new belts and a set of new blades with it. Is there any tips or tricks that I can learn from anyone out there before I use it?

/ New to me Kubota KRM48 - Any tips? #2  
I'm pretty sure it is the same as a Woods RM 400. I have had a few RM-48's over the years. The RM-48 uses a big pulley, two idlers and then the three spindle pulleys with one big belt. Mine does a decent job if you don't go too fast. The main difference is the RM 400 has the gearbox instead of the big pulley.

/ New to me Kubota KRM48 - Any tips? #3  
Had one for years, good tool. One of the belts will wear quicker than the other so you might think of changing occasionally but no real need. Looks like yours has been modded with 2 strips of angle carrying the 2 front side wheels as usually there are 3 small metal roller type 'wheels' across the front edge but they tend to block up and dig-in. Mine is on a compact Kubota 3 speed pto which I usually use on mid-speed in second gear which probably amounts to 540. No doubt if spares were needed they would be usual 'gold-plated' prices. After some blades at present, just as spares, cheapest by far are in the USA but postage is over 3x their basic price.
Regards Phil

/ New to me Kubota KRM48 - Any tips? #4  
The front wheels on that deck look different from what I expect. If they don't swivel, won't they scrape up sod when the deck swings?

/ New to me Kubota KRM48 - Any tips? #5  
The front wheels on that deck look different from what I expect. If they don't swivel, won't they scrape up sod when the deck swings?
Some of the Woods mowers do not have the front wheels. They use chains down from the top link mount on the tractor to the end of the 3 point hitch arms on the mower. You adjust them to keep the front of the mower off the ground.

Last edited:
   / New to me Kubota KRM48 - Any tips?
I see what you mean! I think I might try a chain linkage to allow the mower to float,turn easier?
I do not want to trench the grass.